#1 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 12:45 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2000 S430 AirMatic Problem

I am having problem with my passenger side Airmatic pump making load noise almost all the time. My MB dealer told me to ride it until it fails then take it for replacement and repair for $900 or more.
Is there any way this can be fixed now or all I can do is wait till it fails and pay the prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you are certain it is the airmatic pump, replace the pump (and pay the price) before it fails!! You will at minimum avoid having to have your car towed; you may avoid a breakdown in traffic; and you will avoid a complete failure situation that damages your struts and perhaps your wheel wells, costing you $6K or so to fix.

And you might look to a better tech to fix it. I can't believe a knowledgable dealer could advise you to drive it to failure.

While you're at it, ask the tech to check the tops of the front strut mounts (as well as the struts themselves) for leaks, and also to check the airmatic relay.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-28-2007 at 05:46 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Fix it before it blows. My wife was almost killed when the airmatic system deflated on the highway. The vehicle looked like a low rider and she could not steer because the tires were hitting the fender wheel openings. AAA got the car home and I replaced the Airmatic unit in only a few hours, this includes diagnosing and repair time. The "new and improved" WABCO ( original equipment ) unit wholesales for less than $300.00.

Last edited by Mike Damiani; 02-28-2007 at 01:12 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input. do you have more informaiton about WABCO? I am not familiar with that term.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: W220, S430 LWB, 2000, 147.000 km
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Damiani
Fix it before it blows. My wife was almost killed when the airmatic system deflated on the highway. The vehicle looked like a low rider and she could not steer because the tires were hitting the fender wheel openings. AAA got the car home and I replaced the Airmatic unit in only a few hours, this includes diagnosing and repair time. The "new and improved" WABCO ( original equipment ) unit wholesales for less than $300.00.
Mike, please elaborate on the "New and Improved" WABCO. It's really something that I guess nobody can even guess wtf that means

I can only try guessing It's O-Rings of the top struts that supposed to be improved
#6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
WABCO is the company that makes the original equipment "Mercedes Benz" Airmatic compressor. The compressor unit includes a dryer and a deflation valve.
The link to Wabco is attached.

- WABCO

The Mercedes dealers have told me that there were many problems with the OEM pumps and the replacement pumps are "new and improved" models. The new one looks just like the old one to me, but the car is fixed, my wife thinks that I am a magician.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2009 S 550
Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to simontamas72
my pump made the noise one day and broke down right the next day, so better not to wait. i found my pump for $ 360 online and replaced it myself. it's not that complecated. since than no problems!!!
#8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 03:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Damiani
WABCO is the company that makes the original equipment "Mercedes Benz" Airmatic compressor. The compressor unit includes a dryer and a deflation valve.
The link to Wabco is attached.

- WABCO

The Mercedes dealers have told me that there were many problems with the OEM pumps and the replacement pumps are "new and improved" models. The new one looks just like the old one to me, but the car is fixed, my wife thinks that I am a magician.
the new ones are just the same as the old ones, I only difference is a higher Q number. the newer models have the same shit compressor. well not sure if its a shit compressor or the fact that the way the compressor is designed to operate. I believe they fail because they are controling the ride height on a big vehicle and the compressor is so small.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: 02 S430 - 00 ML55 - 91 NSX
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to fkong777
I read about this before. Peeps from the other forum think it can be just a relay getting stuck... Look for the relay in the fuse block and switch it with another relay that is the same part number and see if the pump will stop.

Relay is cheap. $15-$20 or so.

Do a search in here and the other place for " Pump relay "
#10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 05:38 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Damiani View Post
the price?

------------------------------------------------
Money Makes Money
On any invest up to 20% income in a Month - from 500USD in 1year more than 5000USD
FREE REGISTRATION HERE and then click on JOIN TIRN

and our WEB PAGE HERE
------------------------------------------------

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.