Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Damage Code Definition please....

11K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jayhawk 
#1 ·
Hello,

My VMI shows an entry for damage code 5428873 (Multi function display). Can someone please decode the damage code for me? I am guessing the multifunction diplay is the cluster but that is strictly a guess.

Thanks!

Brian

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply...I am trying to figure out if, from the damage code, I can tell that the display was replaced. I assume that if it shows a damage code for the multifunction display then the entire cluster was replaced. The multifunction is integrated into the cluster and cannot be replaced seperately.

Thanks

#4 ·
2000S430 said:
Thanks for the reply...I am trying to figure out if, from the damage code, I can tell that the display was replaced. I assume that if it shows a damage code for the multifunction display then the entire cluster was replaced. The multifunction is integrated into the cluster and cannot be replaced seperately.

Thanks
You are aware that MB has recalled about 38,000 of those displays, and replaces them at no cost. If yours was recently replaced it is probably still under warranty even if your car isn't. You need to check the service history on your car and have a dealer look at it. Check your VIN # against the recall list by calling MBUSA. Also, do a search here for "instrument cluster recall."

#5 ·
That is exactly what I am after. My VIN is NOT in the recall but I have an enrty in my VMI that leads me to believe the cluster was replaced in March 02. My S430 is a 2000 model but has a 2002 date stamp cluster. Long story short, Mercedes replaced my original cluster (not in the recall) with a cluster that is in the recall but the problem is that becuase my VIN is not in the recall I am left to prove my case.

#6 ·
2000S430 said:
That is exactly what I am after. My VIN is NOT in the recall but I have an enrty in my VMI that leads me to believe the cluster was replaced in March 02. My S430 is a 2000 model but has a 2002 date stamp cluster. Long story short, Mercedes replaced my original cluster (not in the recall) with a cluster that is in the recall but the problem is that becuase my VIN is not in the recall I am left to prove my case.
Your "new" cluster may still be under warranty, but probably not for long. Don't let them delay you too long or it will surly run out if it hasn't already. Get on your dealer or whomever sold you the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.