Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

S320 in a permanent nosedive - airmatic problems

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dave2302 
#1 ·
I looked at an S320 today and the front suspension is too low while the rear suspension is almost as high an ML320. The car looks like something designed for drag racing. The dashboard warns about an airmatic problem and advises that it be taken to the nearest workshop.

I called one Mercedes dealer who said it probably just needed reset and another said it might need new struts. I'm not sure what to think and I can't find anything specifially dealing with this in the forum. I'd rather not buy a car that needs thousands spend on it, but if it's just a matter of Mercedes doing a reset then I'd be quite happy.

Anyone got experience of this or know thie risks?

#2 ·
If your vehicle front suspension is lower than the normal level and in the instrument cluster indicates "airmatic visit workshop" and in red color there is something wrong with your airmatic system, you might have a leakage somewhere in the suspension struts or the pump is not working well. Better yet you should have the dealer have a look at it.

You can also try to start the vehicle and push the airmatic raise button and check if the pump will work, if so check if the level will rise and then you can drive this to your mechanic for repair. If not you can ask the dealer to lend you the emergency rubber buffers. This will be used to as a choke to lift up the suspension and then you can towed this to the near workshop.

#7 ·
SDS is the only machine that will diagnose Airmatic accurately, and do all the tests to conclusion ...............

Lets hope by cleaning connections it fixes it ;)

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry I’m not a professional and don’t know what a sds machine is? The guy I took it too just plugged it into a laptop? But I know now what to ask for, thanks for your help on this trying subject, unlike the abusive person whose involved himself with the green emoji faces, who’s probably unofficial group police and part keyboard warrior.

Once again Dave2302, thank you for your help

#9 ·
Hi,

You have a pm from me.

OK, so SDS is the Dealer Level Machine, which us mere mortals can actually get a clone version for around £400 / $500

It really is essential for doing all the tests etc, all you need to do is ask your Garage guy what machine he has, if it cost less than £400 it will not be very good on these Cars, there will be a lot of stuff he can't see and / or do.

Try and open up your Modules and spray them with Contact Cleaner, (not WD 40), proper contact cleaner which you can buy in aerosol.

Blow dry them with airline if you can. do the same to the plugs and sockets and then try again, hopefully you'll get lucky.

HTH, Cheers Dave

#11 ·
Hi,

OK buddy, if he says it's gonna be mega money come back and let us know what is needed see if we can advise an alternative before parting up with too much ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.