Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Strut leaking '01 S500 Dealership asking $2200?! is that accurate?

14K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  2centz 
#1 ·
I have about 70K on my S, and the dealer is saying the front right strut is leaking pretty badly. Bottom line he said with this mileage it is a good idea to replace both which would cost $2200.

I chaged the entire suspension on my 00 4runner to give it more articulation and a 3 inch lift. I had to change the springs and the shocks all the way around, I remember each shock/strut costing no more then 150 a peice and it was an easy job to do.

Any pros in here? What should I do?

#2 ·
Yes that sounds just about right, again this comes back to the extended warranty, when I purchase my S500 01 with 18k miles on it 3 months later my car dropped pretty low with a nice red dash that read "Car is to low please pull over" come to find out my front air shocks needed to be replaced, total charge $2,000 covered under factory warranty but from what I heard this needs to be replaced every 25k depending if you drive it on sport mode all the time. I do!!! Either way this has to be replaced. Well I hope this helps. My recommendation, look into after market warranty I purchased mine thru MB it's called API #800-441-1274 $2,200 3 year bumper to bumper and if your a good talker like myself I worked MB for a free loaner
(didn't purchase the from MB). Hope this helps! good luck--
[:D][:D]

#3 ·
JimmyK - 6/23/2005 5:53 AM

I have about 70K on my S, and the dealer is saying the front right strut is leaking pretty badly. Bottom line he said with this mileage it is a good idea to replace both which would cost $2200.

I chaged the entire suspension on my 00 4runner to give it more articulation and a 3 inch lift. I had to change the springs and the shocks all the way around, I remember each shock/strut costing no more then 150 a peice and it was an easy job to do.

Any pros in here? What should I do?
Usually the struts are replaced as front or back pairs.

#4 ·
Hmm are the struts and air shocks the same thing?

I was assuming that the car just had front pressurized shocks that dampen the ride and usually that's an easy/cheap thing to replace.

I do have a comprehensive extended warranty but that does not cover wear and tear of struts they said.

Armani2468 - 6/22/2005 7:53 PM

Yes that sounds just about right, again this comes back to the extended warranty, when I purchase my S500 01 with 18k miles on it 3 months later my car dropped pretty low with a nice red dash that read "Car is to low please pull over" come to find out my front air shocks needed to be replaced, total charge $2,000 covered under factory warranty but from what I heard this needs to be replaced every 25k depending if you drive it on sport mode all the time. I do!!! Either way this has to be replaced. Well I hope this helps. My recommendation, look into after market warranty I purchased mine thru MB it's called API #800-441-1274 $2,200 3 year bumper to bumper and if your a good talker like myself I worked MB for a free loaner
(didn't purchase the from MB). Hope this helps! good luck--
[:D][:D]

#5 ·
Wish I could be more help, but I believe it's the same thing, Honestly I would bring to another MB just for a second opinion. It should be covered.....[^]

#6 ·
Bottom line he said with this mileage it is a good idea to replace both which would cost $2200.
It's a great idea for the dealer, he is making twice as much money from your visit! When normal shocks are $20 to $40 and struts maybe $60 to $120 each, it's no big deal to go ahead and replace both at the same time. The pneumatic shocks your car are about $900 or $1200 each retail if it has active body control. I would just replace the leaking one and if afterwards you feel the handling or ride is bad, then go ahead and replace the other one.

#7 ·
There are several types of leaks in the strut, if the leak is on the top of the strut near the pressure hose connection, the vulcanized rubber is worn out, you can repair this area by using repair kit 2203202538 (AIR LEAK) but if is an oil leak then you must replace the strut, my suggestion your vehicle already reach 70k better replace both sides otherwise the ride maybe impared.

#10 · (Edited)
It is most probably the upper struts that are leaking,and they have a kit you can purchase for each side. Read the threads on airmatic suspension. The S's most common problem except of course the owner. Just kidding on that! But both sides in the U.S. are around 700.00 for the dealer to do it. Cheaper if you buy the kits outside and then have them install and ride height adjustment.

#11 ·
Seem high, a Mercedes shop near here quote $400 for the job. $160 for part and $240 for labor. This is not to replacement of the front strut, but rather, installing the repair kit (from Mercedes).

Unless the strut is completely collapse, most of the time, it's the top of the front strut that leak, and need to be repaired. Ask him if it's for repair, or replacement of the front strut. If it's the front strut, then $2200 is about right, but again, they may ask you to go the expensive route rather than the cheaper one

#13 · (Edited)
Welcome aboard, Adnan. And please indicate your car model and year in your profile, it helps others to answer your questions.

You will probably hear the same hiss if you jack up the front, the air will then leak out from the strut top. Here is one seller: Duval Motorcars - New & Used Mercedes-Benz, Jeep Dealer Showroom at 3525 NW 97th Boulevard Gainesville, Florida (FL) 32606. Tel. +1 352 332 7511, ask for parts department. The part number you need is 220 320 2538 and you need one for each side. I am not sure if they will ship abroad but call them (I bet MB dealers in your country have these kits as well as it is original Mercedes part). Below a pic of the kit contents (the rightmost plate is the original to be replaced with the new black plate)

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks Finntexan , ( My car is S500 , Y2000)
Ya the repair kit is available with local dealer . But after carrying out the top strut leakage test, it was discovered that the leak from rounded side rubber where the dealer told that the complete shock absorber(Part# 220 320 2538) should be replaced.

After reviewing my car 7.5 year maintnance log , it was concluded that the airmatic sys (shock absorbers,Air Pump & Relay) frequent fails shape the bulk maintenance cost AND I can consider it as the main reason behind decreasing the reliabilty of my car compared to my friends cars(BMW Seven Series).That's why I decided to convert it to non-airmatic type. As I know , there are conversion kit for the Rang Rover and my question as most of you could already expected : is there a conversion kit for Mercedes S type? , Any of you could develope such trials?

Appreciate in advance any type of your assistance/inputs/comments

#17 ·
I do recall strutmasters.com having conversion kits fot the W140s to replace the hydrapneumatic setup. All four corners would have to have the plugs shunted with correct resistors to hinder the computer in thinking the suspsension was not faulted and keep the dash light out...At least that is what the W140 system was. The 220 may be similar. Hope this helpls!

#18 ·
It is normal for the vehicle to drop as much as 30mm on cold days or nights. For the front I would check the upper for leaks, its very easy just spray some soap around the top of the strut mount. If thats leaking its $150.00 per side parts plus 1.5 hours labor per side. If you do have a bad strut I would replace both as the other will probably follow soon and too much stress on the system usually results in a bad compressor also :(.

#19 ·
How does the ride will change if you convert it to coilovers, but that is a good idea. Mine sometimes out of nothing dash would say ABC control problem. And the ride would be rought, but if I turn the car off and back on it is normal. The car does not drop if it is off, only once in the great while front right side but just a bit.

#22 ·
See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1467695-airmatic-strut-epoxy-fix-3.html and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1467695-airmatic-strut-epoxy-fix-2.html#post4256210

Although robledoch and I have agreed to disagree over whether the mastic around the top of the strut is intended as a seal or a vibration damper, he has had a year and a half of success with his replacement of the mastic with epoxy - and I won't argue with success. It is an easy and very inexpensive approach that he has documented beautifully.

If the strut leak is not at the upper seal, then the struts must be replaced. You will find discussion of the excellent Arnott replacements in the links.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.