Active Body Control - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W215 CL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
Active Body Control

From time to time, very infrequently, the ABC lights up on the dash when driving and the car looses its handling ability.

I had this problem on a Range Rover a few years back was never sorted out despite many replacements parts and suspension (under warranty).

I cure the problem by stopping and turning off the engine for a few seconds and it goes away for a few months. I am aware from this forum that the ABC is problematic. Does anyone have any preventive suggestions for what is undoubtly the beginings of a problem I could do without?

Many thanks for your help now and in the past.

Dave

Cars in the drive

2002 CL500
2007 RR sport (wife)
1983 SL500
Dave former 911 owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '03 CL500,& '07 GL450
Recall campaign #2007060002, June 2007, addressed possible corrosion of the "ABC" high pressure distribution hose. Also, a 3micron filter (part # A003 184 61 01) in the ABC reservoir is available to replace the 10 micron filter.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 1997 G320, 2001 CL55
Had a similar issue a few years ago. Changed the fluid and seemed to fix it for a while. Issue came back and dealer changed a sensor that had been recalled and has worked fine since then. Good Luck...
rtgogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
Fluid changes seem to be the key. I'm hunting for any how-to's on the Merc ABC system, because (as I've said in several threads here now) the precedent is the Citroen system, in which fluid changes and filters were pretty much a home replacement.

(mine seems to be absolutely fine... as luck would have it I will have a week or two now where I won't be using it so I am looking out for the sinking problem. One of the other chaps in the car park here has an SL, and it seems to be sunk more often than not. He just starts up and waits for it to spring up before he drives off...)
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
LondonThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
CL500 ABC PROBLEM

Hello everyone, i have similar problem on my 2001 CL500 the ABC lite comes on I am restarting the engine and it goes for 2 days or shorter when the ABC lite is on and I am driving the car the same time it is very soft ant its like bouncing i just found out that the car was dropped so it has a aftermarket sensors for rear I wont to know can it be from sensors? and one more thing the right side is more dropped then the left one and sometimes the right side is like going down very fast and sometimes it doesn't go up so the ABC lite comes on. Please Help ,Thanks
ArtCL500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: W215-CL500, W208-CLK320, W140-300SE
Top up the ABC fluid side with Petosin oil from the dealer. Ask them when there to show you the dual chambered black reservoir that holds the (1)-larger blue capped micron filter and (2)-the smaller black capped ABC hydraulic Petosin fluid. Afterwards you will be able to keep track of the levels yourself to help keep the ride right.

OTOH maybe you need a valve or sensor to correct the imbalance in your car or you may have a leaking hose.

Check the fliud first though and good luck.
ifari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Thank you ifari ill try to do what you said and one more thing i wont you to know the oil level is ok. thanks
ArtCL500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: W215-CL500, W208-CLK320, W140-300SE
Cool. I hope this helps even more. I got some great info from many searches online.

Here goes...

Get the car on a hoist and have the tray underneath removed.

Then look for the silver 'valve box' with the 4 or 5 (I really don't know exactly) hydraulic hose lines going into it. These dedicated lines feed hydraulic fluid to the struts at the respective corners.

It (Valve Box-front) should be near or behind the front wheel area on the passenger side underneath the car.

(A similar set-up (Valve box-rear) is supposed to be near the back axle behind the wheel (drivers side--I think) for the rear struts and suspension.)

Clean, then inspect the hoses to see if any are leaking fluid. It could be the fitting(s) are loose and just need tightening or the O-ring(s) and or hose(s) may need replacing with new units.

To be more certain however....

With the car still in the air--start the engine and activate the ABC up and down to allow the mechanic see where the leak may be coming from and if it is around the 'valve box' and hoses.

The Valve 'sensor' should be attached to the box and the sensor(s) can supposedly be removed for closer inspection.

The sensor attachment is supposed to have a 'seal' that could possibly be faulty (worn or torn) and may need changing. Change the seal of the sensor attached to the 'valve box' and any leak should cease.

The really cool thing is that this sensor seal is apparently only a 50 cent piece!

The dealer will try to tell you they must change the 'valve block' at $1000.00 +/-; BUT...

.... if you have an independant to do this procedure, it can save you BIG money!

Good luck and please report back to the forum.

Each One, Teach One!
ifari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
03 CL500 ABC pump replaced still problem

Hey Ifari,

I have a question about the valves, I had my ABC pump replaced becuase there was a leak within the pump. The dealers were going to charge 2K so I went to a private mechanic that fixes MB cars. We replaced the pump with fluid and all. The pump works when the are is on for the first 10 sec or less then turns red again. I thought my problems would be solved with a pump replacement but now I have more issues!

The mechanic doesnt know what the issue is and wants to guess and check with what might be causing it, he mentioned the Valve blocks, filter and struts. Where would you recommend to start? I copied your previous post and am going to give it to my mechanic to follow, hopefully it is something simple.

Thanks in advance!
aedjlali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 CL500
If your mechanic replaced the ABC pump and added fresh oil - but did not go through the "Rodeo" procedure, then perhaps this is your problem.
calgary is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W215 CL Class