#21 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not all bad news

Um, I know how these old threads get to look when there's a nasty malfunction about, so I thought I'd put in a POSITIVE outcome for all those readers for the next decade and a half who end up thinking this is all powerful reasons for not buying a CL class with ABC...

I once - only once - got the red ABC warning. This was in the middle of a long trip into Europe, which is just when you don't want to be "limping" anywhere. I had parked the car awkwardly with a lot of spinning of the steering from lock to lock; when I started back up, with the wheels still on extreme lock, up came the warning.

On a hunch I straightened out the wheels, turned the engine off, waited 20 sec and then turned back on again.

No warning.

And none since - that was about 4,500 miles ago, including lots of extreme speed running, by which I mean, about 40 minutes at 150mph on the Autobahns and 4 Swiss mountain passes (the Julier, the Maloja, the Bernina about four times, and the Fluela). I guess you could argue that the autobahn work doesn't stress the hydraulics that much - but the passes sure as hell do!

I never see the warning these days. As an old Citroen man I occasionally engage the optional ABC modes (higher ride height and sport) while sitting in stationary traffic, just to waggle things about a bit. My CL500 is an '03.

Steve
London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 1970 w109 6.3, 2001 ML55 AMG, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Star follower
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Workshop MB View Post
ALERT FOR S 600 V-12 OWNERS!!!

It appears that there is another hose that is prone to leakage that is not under recall, and this is the hose that wraps over top the transmission. So, if you see leakage and it is not coming from the recalled hose, the engine has to come out.

We have one in our shop, and this post is to let other S 600 V-12 owners know about it.

Happy Benzing!!!
I have just had ALL my ABC hoses replaced except for the one that drips on to the exhaust and causes your CL to catch fire!, as this was done as a re-call. All the other hoses were custom made to take up to 4 times the working pressure of the useless MB ones that 'seep' fluid, which in turn makes the whole system fail, and at a fraction of the cost of new rip-off MB ones!
Anyway - my mechanic, who is not an authorised MB one but is better than any I have met, changed this transmission hose in no time at all by doing something with the engine mounts (no engine removal!!)
I will ask him exactly what he did and post it on this forum.
(See my post on "Making your own ABC hoses")
#23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:34 AM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good post, and I do hope you haven't angered the ABC gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonThing View Post
...lots of extreme speed running, by which I mean, about 40 minutes at 150mph on the Autobahns and 4 Swiss mountain passes (the Julier, the Maloja, the Bernina about four times, and the Fluela)...
Some people get to have all the fun!
#24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Cl600 under full restoration after accident, 1993 3000GT
I am pretty sure there is money to be made for anyone wishing to make a abc hose kit to replace the oem with something stronger hint hint :-)

David
#25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
Good post, and I do hope you haven't angered the ABC gods.

Some people get to have all the fun!
fingers crossed. For context: I took the Forester down to the same part of Switzerland 18 months back and on the Malojapass the brakes caught fire. In a car weighting a hell of a lot less than the CL. For a few days, I worked for a client in Sils-Maria and (rather foolishly, in retrospect) stayed in Poschiavo, on the other side of Piz Bernina. So this was my commute:

Centrale, Della Ca Claudio to La Fainera Fashion - Google Maps

In early October, the mornings are frosty and mist (actually cloud) can cover the higher reaches of the pass road - but you tan REALLY FAST because you're above the UV protection layer.

If you feed the start and end of that map route into Google Earth as "directions" then by playing the tour you can kind-fo follow the drive. I don't recommend it on a big monitor because it made me a trifle airsick...

Steve
London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
#26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2007 SL550
I have a 2007 SL550, purchased in August 2010 with 25K miles. New Years Eve the "ABC Malfunction" light came on. Wife said it was running funny the day before, ride felt different. I took it to the car wash and noticed the light on after that. Being mechanically challenged I took it ot the MB shop. They could not get the on-board computer to synch with the shop computer to diagnose it. Have an extended warranty (not a Benz one). So they had to get authorization from them to fix the computer before they could look at the ABC issue. After that was fixed they could not find any issue with the ABC, but decided the starter battery was bad as well as a cable to it. There have been slow cranking in starting it so I believe them. Been a week and a half so far waiting to get the car back. The ext warranty is very time consuming but looks good with only a $200 deductible. The battery will be $353 (not covered in warranty) Good thing there is a loaner car! Sounds like the ABC thingee will be a continuing event for these cars.
#27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
$ 353.00 for a SL small front starting battery ? Man you got hosed. Benz Roadside Assistance would have done it for about half that.

Your ABC Warning could have been just low fluid in the reservoir. Do you know how to check your ABC Fluid level on your own ?
#28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2007 SL550
No, but I will after I get it back. Another site seems to indicate this happens alot and discribed as a Gremlin problem. No cause or reasons for the indication. I was going to ask the dealership if I can have a cigarette after I pay the bill, or at least a peck on the cheek...
#29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 2000 CL500
ABC FLUID SPRAY-OUT I have a CL500. It has always been dealer serviced except for a couple of oil changes. On two occasions, when an independent shop did the oil change, they overfilled the ABC reservoir. Within a week, (I rarely drive the car) pressure built up in the system and the fluid sprayed out of the filler cap as of the system had overheated. The first time scared the hell out of me. The second time, I checked the level in the reservoir and even after the spay out, it was too full. The proper level is only about 2/3 full.

My ABC visit shop message has been coming on intermittently the entire time I have owned the car. The dealer has gone through the entire system including a new pump and a Rodeo Test. The problem seems to be a possible short in the ignition switch. I'm not sure, but I have met another owner who has had the same problem, and replaced the pump at very low mileage. His light also comes on every once in a while. I notice that my light rarely comes on if the weather is cold.

Last edited by blacktopgypsy; 03-07-2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Additional information / comment

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W215 CL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.