ABC problems - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W215 CL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2004 CL500
ABC problems

A few days ago, when I started by 2004 CL500 after it had been sitting undriven for about 10 days, I got a warning message on the dash display that there was something wrong with the ABC. Indeed, I then noticed that the car suspension was low on the left front. I used the dash switch to increase the suspension height and then return it to normal height. After that, the car seemed level and the warning message disappeared. Using a tape measure, I still notice that the front left sits about a half inch low. There doesn't appear to be any fluid leaking out of the suspension and the tire pressure is uniform. Any ideas what might be wrong?
bstearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
PFC
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
RE: ABC problems

This has happened to me a number of times (always the right front). I do what you did - raise the car, and all is well. I have asked the dealer 3 times to correct this, and they keep telling me there isn't a problem. I get my tape measure out, and show them my right front is a half inch lower, and I still get the same answer. Good luck. If you get a better answer, let me know.
PFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Thanks for replying. I called my dealer to report the problem, anticipating a "there's nothing wrong" or "it's a software error" and, instead, they told me they have seen it before and it's a slow leak in the accuator, and they will replace it. So, it's scheduled to be done tomorrow.

If your dealer won't fix it, it may be time to call the service zone manager or at least somebody at MB outside of the dealer's service organization. It's under warranty, so the dealer really shouldn't be resisting....
Old 10-25-2004, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Just an update: There is a factory recall notice on this problem with ABC. In my case, they flushed the hydraulic filter and tighted fittings. Seems fine now.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: W209 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG

Bstearns, thanks for sharing your experiences. My parents have a 2001 CL 500 (non-sport) and had 2 seperate indicidents with their defective ABC suspension.

Both times the dealer took the car in, however, did not recognize that it may be a system-wide defect instead of a one-off instance. In one of the instances, the car made some frightening noises when turning on a 405 freeway on-ramp.

The car has since been fixed, notably after the nationwide recall was announced. I like the system in theory, hopefully they get the bugs out for all future models. Problems such as this are inexcusable for a car in the league such as the CL!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Is anyone on this thread having problems with there ABC still? I had this problem and I had the recall fixed, but I am still having problems with my ABC. The ABC will work fine if I turn the car off and start it up again, but it will not work correct unless I do this process everytime I use the vehicle? I went to the dealer and they said its the right front control valve and it's 1200 bucks and not interested in repairing if I can just turn the car off and on again to fix each time. It would be nice to have repaired if there is some solution that I have not thought of.

thank you

keith
BullOnWallSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK View Post
---The car has since been fixed, notably after the nationwide recall was announced. I like the system in theory, hopefully they get the bugs out for all future models. Problems such as this are inexcusable for a car in the league such as the CL!
Get used to the CL500 problems. The car is a ticking time bomb.

In addition to multiple problems, 62 days in for service, ABC recall done, the car is still loaded with problems! Mine sits for months and the exact issue with ABC occurs despite that recall repair being done! Many of the remaining problems have never been fixed (and obviously cannot be) despite the multiple repair times.

Car is going back to M-B w/in 2 weeks under CA lemon law. It's a 2003 and it just turned 11,000 miles!

I have owned a tons of cars and collectively this car has had more issues then all the others combined!

My advice-stay away from the CL series unless you have a bottomless checkbook.
GCalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
power steering fluid with seal swell worked for me and its under 10 bucks
goodpov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 1997 G320, 2001 CL55
I had issues with my ABC several years ago, but the recal part fixed it. Recently saw the malfunction light come on and called my dealer. I have a very good relationship with the service techs and their very first question was how long the car had been sitting un driven and if I had disconnected the battery or jumped off another car recently. Answer was "no" and car runs fine, but noticed a few comments about the cars with problems sitting for extended periods and this may have something to do with it. Depending on the age of your car, the fluid may need to be changed. I had this done a few years ago and it cured the issues that popped up occasionally. The fluid breaks down over the years and aint cheap, but needs to be maintained like anything else on a car.
rtgogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 CL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpov View Post
power steering fluid with seal swell worked for me and its under 10 bucks
I hope that the power steering fluid and seal swell, which you added, does not do any damage to the ABC system. It would be very expensive to repair...Please keep us informed -
calgary is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W215 CL Class