Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My E250 has frightened the neighbors

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Favog 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 E250 with most of the bells and whistles, including the fancy LED headlights with the sorta hockey stick configuration. I live in a condo and keep the car in the basement garage. One of my neighbors stopped me in the hall yesterday to ask whether I knew my car does strange things when I'm nowhere near. Seems the neighbors were downstairs unloading their groceries when my sleek shiny somewhat intimidating black sedan over there in the darkness suddenly blazed its spooky bright night eyes at them and then dimmed away, as though it were sending a warning from somewhere beyond the Black Forest. Anybody know what might have happened? I don't want to give anybody Stephen King nightmares.

#2 ·
My E250 never did it to me, but I don't lock it in the garage.
Are you sure thy did not touch the car?
Could be part of the alarm.
Fact is that the options available exceed average driver perception, so finding all the answers in 360 pages manual is not easy.
If you have friendly SA at your dealer - give him a call.

#3 ·
Could the key fob in your pocket been accidentally touched while either reaching into your pocket for something else, or could it have been touched by something else in your pocket during otherwise innocent movements while in your condo?

I've set off my car alarm twice while the car is in the garage by just moving innocently and accidentally about the house while the key fob was in my pocket. I have the lighting package with the same "hockey stick" lighting configuration, and in each of those incidents, I'm sure the headlights were engaged before I was able to get into the garage to turn off the alarm. Had someone been in our house garage during either of these incidents, I can imagine the same kind of creepy experience occurring. Just a thought!
:eek

#5 ·
Thanks. I suppose I could have accidentally pressed a button on the fob while in my condo, but the signal would have had to travel through three floors to set off the car. Anything's possible -- I did replace the fob battery just before the incident, so any signal would have been at its strongest -- but still. Could the signal penetrate three floors? Seems unlikely to me, but this is still the likeliest possibility anybody's come up with so far.

#7 ·
spooky

My key fob can penetrate through concrete at my work so it is possible considering most new buildings are a combo of wood/metal. Also, sometimes due to sensor interference some funky stuff can happen. Wouldnt worry too much unless you could recreate it or it happens again.

#6 ·
3 floors are not saying what material they were build with?
Why don't you do test with somebody else on the phone next to the car.
My new Ford Truck come with remote start. So far I was able to start the engine across Walmart parking lot.
Next time will try 1/4 mile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.