Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil cooler repair

15K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  ktr 
#1 ·
morning all,

Feel like I could write a book on my journey with my 2011 E350 bluetec, just got the news that my oil cooler is leaking and that its a 3000$ repair as well as the flex joint in the rear which you would think is cheaper but is only 500 something to repair. The vibration issue has been discovered and its there as per the corporate tech but the reason is still unfound.

Leads me to my question about the oil cooler, how big of an issue is this? and are there other ways to repair besides $3000 >_<.

Guess diesels are notorious for this issue, car going to be brand new before all is said and done.

#2 ·
A lot of oil can drip on the ground for $3,000. What is the down side of just living with it? Get a flat pan and slide it under the car in your garage. Does this price actually repair your cooler or is this the cost to replace with new? Seems you could do a lot of brazing for that kind of money......

#3 ·
Many years ago I purchased my first Benz a 1991 560 SEL. That is one of the best I did, also the worst thing I did.

Spent so much $ fixing one thing after another. However, it forced me to learn how to DIY repairs. The skills I learnt and all the tools I acquired enable me to do so much work around the house later.

My point, if you rely on dealer to fix your Benz and you don't have warranty. You are in deep deep trouble.

Best of luck on fixing the very expensive toy.

#8 ·
l love how he says drive it like you stole it though....thats funny....
That is how I always drive ours! :smile

Didnt know you could put any additives in with a diesel
LiquiMoly Diesel Purge is almost universally favored by MB diesel owners. May be others.

....not sure what he meant though by an engine oil flush>?
I use Amsoil Engine Flush or LiquiMoly. They are "idle flushes" which are just concentrated engine oil detergents that help clean the crankcase and get it ready for new oil.

Interesting about the oil too......makes sense though to go with 20W/60 if the engine runs that hot
I am not sure about that one. I have seen a lot of posts on BITOG about how there are problems with the oil coolers if you use a thicker viscosity. I would just use a quality MB 229.52 Approved oil, and change it every 3-5k miles.

Ours developed a slow leak, but we had an extended CPO warranty, so it was fixed for free.

If I had to pay out-of-pocket, I would do what the other poster said - put a pan under it and save the $$$$

Good luck. They are still awesome cars!

#10 ·
I started with a flat tin pan under the car...?... but I had to change the seals on the oil cooler and the rear main seal. I had smoke coming from under the car. Oil was leaking onto the exhaust causing a constant smell of burning oil. When I would stop, smoke came up the back part of the engine. Not a lot of smoke but enough to make you know there is something wrong. I have had the oil changed once at the MB dealership; once at the repair shop that did the work on the oil seal and rear main seal; and I did the last oil change. All at about 5000 mile intervals. The last two oil changes, Mobil 0w40 was used. I need to look into the thicker viscosity oil though... I am a little leery on going to 20w60. 10w50 might be a nice first step if heavier weight oil does cause problems with the oil cooler. Either way I need to research... ask a few mechanics...etc.

#9 ·
I read the article till about 40% and had enough of the whining.
The guy complains about everything, while saying nothing.
He is right that CA dealers don't know much about MB diesels, but those engines were never sold by MB in California, so if you are bringing Ford to Chevy country, who is there to blame?
Coming to oil cooler, I heard the new cooler is about $200. The rest is labor.
I did similar oil cooler on Ford Powerstroke twice in less than 20,000 miles, so would I have to do it once in Bluetec life ,I have no problem with it.
The bitching about it is the same behavior owners of W211 make about SBC and Airmatic.
For me it is "nature of the beast" >>> when you buy used car for fraction of its new cost - calculate the coming expense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.