Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W212 Transmission limp mode

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Motr1 
#1 ·
Hi
New member here and this is my first post. Need help in diagnosing limp mode problem in W212 year 2010 done 25000 KM.
The car goes in limp mode, stuck in 3 gear. Fault gear 3 implausible / transmission slipping. Star diagnostic says oil level is too low.filled in 11 lts of liqui moly 1800. Changed the contact plate, changed the filter, no oil in connector also. cleaned the entire valve body. Reset the transmission by holding the throttle with ignition on method. No warning light on Ins cluster. Any ideas what's going on.
Regards
Jay

#2 ·
What transmission do you have? (Please complete your Profile, since different markets have different vehicles).

To start with, did you Clear the Transmission's Fault Codes? Otherwise, a New Conductor Plate change will NOT correct the Limp-Mode. Also the 'Accelerator Reset' is ONLY for Adaptations, and not fault codes. Plus, the 722.9 box will not Re-Adapt using this method.

Secondly, the Type & Quantity of ATF is wrong, no matter if you have a 722.6, or 722.9 Transmission. 11 quarts is waaaaaay too much fluid.

Soooo, get back to us regarding which model of Transmission you have and we can better assist you.

G

#3 ·
Thank G-AMG for your reply, the transmission is 722.6 and yes I cleared the fault codes after the contact plate was installed. Also we inspected the transmission clutches to check for any damage since this car was being driven for over a year in limp mode, don't ask how the guy managed it. So when we filled the oil, the transmission has zero oil. So I filled 4-5 litres for the torque converter, 4 goes in for transmission and valve body and 2 for radiator and cooling line. About the grade, I will have to check again with Liqui Moly as to why they suggested this grade. Any thoughts ??

#4 ·
If I recall correctly, the DRY capacity of the 722.6 is only 9 Litres. For a Full Fluid Exchange, it is somewhere in the 8 Litre range..

Did you check the Fluid Level with the Special Dipstick?

In terms of Fluid 'type', the 722.6 is rather 'fussy' about the ATF it runs on.. I would ONLY use the spec 236.10, 236.12, or the latest/greatest 236.14. The various selections for "Approved Brands" can be found:

Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids: Engine Oil, Gear Oil, ATF, Coolant, Brakefluid

IF you are STILL getting Limp Mode? I would look at the TCM (transmission control module) in the engine bay, just to be 100% sure there is NO ATF in the coffin-box area.

G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.