Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Syncing or Reconfiguring Overhead Control Panel for Sunroof Operation

14K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  windwagen 
#1 ·
I replaced the overhead control panel on my 2011 E350 because the dome light wasn't working. Now the lights work fine, but the sunroof isn't working properly – it only moves an inch or two with every push of the control button. I've seen some info on how to reset the moonroof controller after loss of power, and I've followed the instructions (holding the button for at least 5 seconds in the up, back, forward and down positions) but it just doesn't rectify the problem.

Is there someone out there who knows how to get the one-touch moonroof controls to work again after replacing the overhead control panel??

#3 ·
Pull fuse f17 @ front SAM (located in engine compartment) reinsert then reattempt to normalize following manual instructions. Attachment covers OCP replacement. If this fails reinstall old OCP and check sliding roof as I understand it old unit had only lighting malfunction. In addition, consider cleaning and lubing roof slide rails using plastilube, do not use WD40.

Attachments

#5 ·
konigstiger,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused by all of this to be honest. I actually have two 2011 E350s and I took the Overhead Control Panel out of the other car that was working fine and tried installing it in the car that was having the problem. That didn't change anything, so I put the OCP back in the other car and now that car has the same problem as the first car –– so now both cars sunroof's are not working correctly! I do have an iCarSoft MB II OBD reader and I'm getting an A22755 message for both cars now. It says the component is not configured.

So I've tried the whole thing with keeping the sunroof button pushed and all that. Still hasn't fixed the problem.

Is there anything else I can do at this point?

When you say the: Pull fuse f17 @ front SAM (located in engine compartment) reinsert then reattempt to normalize following manual instructions. What do you mean by "reattempt to normalize following manual instructions"?

In the attachment you provided, it says: "Temporarily store basic data for overhead control panel control unit (N70) with Star Diagnosis." How do I do that... do I need some kind of electronic attachment that hooks up to the OCP??

Any idea of how complicated (and costly!) this fix will be by the dealer??

Many thanks for your help bud!

#8 ·
konigstiger,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit confused by all of this to be honest. I actually have two 2011 E350s and I took the Overhead Control Panel out of the other car that was working fine and tried installing it in the car that was having the problem. That didn't change anything, so I put the OCP back in the other car and now that car has the same problem as the first car –– so now both cars sunroof's are not working correctly! I do have an iCarSoft MB II OBD reader and I'm getting an A22755 message for both cars now. It says the component is not configured.

So I've tried the whole thing with keeping the sunroof button pushed and all that. Still hasn't fixed the problem.

Is there anything else I can do at this point?

When you say the: Pull fuse f17 @ front SAM (located in engine compartment) reinsert then reattempt to normalize following manual instructions. What do you mean by "reattempt to normalize following manual instructions"?

In the attachment you provided, it says: "Temporarily store basic data for overhead control panel control unit (N70) with Star Diagnosis." How do I do that... do I need some kind of electronic attachment that hooks up to the OCP??

Any idea of how complicated (and costly!) this fix will be by the dealer??

Many thanks for your help bud!

#12 ·
I've read this post many times since this happened to my car over a year ago. My sunroof would close automatically, then open (vent position). I could manually close it by bumping the button...just not auto-close. All along, I'm thinking there is some close position switch that's failed, or not making contact.

Finally, I figured it out. After a ton more dead ends on the internet, it came to me... I read about the Hall (effect) sensor... which isn't an on/off switch, but more like a position sensor (encoder). I borrowed an Xtool D8 scanner to see if I could find out something. I could see the sunroof position in the live data.

I saw a function .. "normalization"... what's that?? I tried it and really only the sunshade moved. That sunshade hasn't moved since this started because the sunroof has to be closed for the sunshade to operate....hmmmm. You know what? After that, it was working perfectly!!!

Konigstiger is right.... you just need someone to "normalize" it.... hope that helps some of us keep some hair : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.