Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Trailer Hitch for 2014-2016 E250 Sedan

8K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  sgtshultz 
#1 ·
Has anyone in North America bought a hitch for their E250 Sedan. I am looking to buy an E250 in the coming months and this is an important factor for me, as I tow my race bike around.

I know this car can handle the tow weight and I have seen hitches in Europe. I cannot find anyone with an image or personal experience of a hitch on this car.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Aaron

#2 ·
I tried looking for my S212. I can get the part numbers, individually, off the EPC, for the Mercedes one, but some of the pieces are not available it seems here in the US. (I should have spent more time while we were in Europe trying to get one! [emoji853] ). Actually I think there is one part number for the "kit", but definitely not available here, would have to order from outside the US, which would be expensive. I'm not sure about the hitch ball size, if it would be compatible with the couplers we have. That said, I am waiting for UHAUL to custom size me one at their Tempe AZ center, sometime next month supposedly, for free.

UHAUL has one listed for an E350, but doesn't list the E250... I wonder if they might know if it will fit.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Please keep me in the loop if they custom fit it.

I do see that Curt sells them in Canada. I have been happy with my current Curt but the only negative I have it that is scrapes the ground on occasion and is fully exposed in my current car. That being said the E Class sits a little taller than my current car.

Trying to find one that is a little hidden if possible.

I am trying to find some images of what it may look like and if any modifications would be needed.

#4 ·
I looked around some, but only found for E350:. Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, I forget which else. (I was afraid my C451 was going to have a dead battery so I put everything back together and drove it early this morning.). Will let you know if I bump into anything, as well as with my experience at U-HAUL....

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Hitch

So I called CURT Mfg and asked about the E350 Petrol engine towbar they offer and asked if it would fit on the E250BT. They have never been asked before and he mentioned possibly because of the DEF tank being lower.

I did not think so because they use the same spare tire well in both cars. Anyway, I would more likely find a unicorn before I found images of the underbelly of an E250 to compare to the E350 Petrol car in their manual. I called a dealership in Oakville and Ryan Bartlett helped me out by taking a couple of images; E350BT and E400. Super guy and I owe him a drink.

They look the same so I would think that the CURT unit should fit. Do not quote me but that is what I see. The guys from CURT Tech support said to see if there is 6.5" of "drop to clear".

Let me know how UHAUL goes.

Good luck

Attachments

#8 ·
This is where it gets a little odd. Below are images of and E250 and an E400. They look exactly the same as the spare time hold is shared. The only difference is the E250 has the ad blue and the E400 has the tire. Brink makes one in Europe, I have a message into them. Need to also check if the wiring harness will work also between the UK and North American version.

#9 ·
Nothing happened. I guess they gave up on me for postponing twice. The second one they gave me a month's notice. Sorry about that! I do have access to part numbers of the Mercedes hitch but sourcing them in the US is a challenge. (I just sent a message to benzpartswholesale as to these unavailable pieces.)

#12 ·
I have been looking at the parts diagram for the European hitch some, and pricing parts at en.partacus.de, when all of a sudden I received an email from a new person in charge at U-Haul of the custom hitch program. He is offering the week of the 27th. To be continued.....

I can look up the European hitch parts necessary for the car you are considering, probably easier with a VIN, as I just turn off the Datacard SA filter and I'm most likely set. The most expensive part was the "trailer hitch" or rear crash bar. It was listed at 6xx Euros. Pushed the price over $1000, or around there. Not even sure how heavy the order would be and I believe there is a 19% import duty on parts from Germany. Quite a few parts I could source here, which are those that are interchangeable with different Mercedes models I'm guessing, and some others I would have to source outside the US, a few or so in the 1xx Euro range....

#13 ·
It's a big amount of money, but I found this from the Mercedes Germany site:

A2123100300

Zubehör für Ihr Fahrzeug | Service & Zubehör | Mercedes-Benz Pkw

available here:

https://en.partacus.de/spareparts/search/?sparepart-partno=2123100300

I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but it has good pricing relatively and is able to sell without VAT, which with one other seller in the past could not sell to me without it, and I needed to cancel because I couldn't figure out a way to get it refunded.

#20 ·
I did buy the 2014 E250, loaded about 40K miles on it averaging 42MPG in 8 months, then it was squashed by a tree on windy night.

Just bought another E250, but the 2016 version.

I am glad to hear the hitch fits. Did you have any pics you could share or send us?

Racing season is getting close and I hate renting trucks to carry one race bike.

Very much appreciated,

Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.