Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Media interface is not available

17K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Favog 
#1 ·
I'm sitting in my car right now waiting for some people to show up, and I decided to listen to my iPod through my car speakers. This works. This always works. But today it won't work. The car is telling me that media interface is not available. So I take my iPod out of the console and I look at it and it's plugged in properly. It even has the Mercedes logo showing on its little iPod screen. And below that it says OK to disconnect. So what is disconnecting my iPod from my car? I have disconnected and reconnected the cable on both ends. I have turned off the car completely and turned it back on. Nothing seems to work. Has anybody had this problem before? I remember once I was trying to listen to Sirius radio while on a road trip, and it became a little flaky. So I pulled over and, as this was back when I had concierge service, I called for help. They had me open my door turn off the engine turn on the engine push this button push that button. And that it all started working again. It's something like that going on now? Does anybody know the code? Thanks.

#2 ·
Media Interface is not available -- PROBLEM SOLVED

FOLLOW-UP / PROBLEM SOLVED

The solution turned out to be simple, and it probably would have fixed itself eventually, but I'd never have understood what was going on if I hadn't stopped by my local dealer's service department.

First -- the problem got even more interesting after I typed the note above. When I would speak "media interface" to COMAND, hoping to hear my iPod, the response would be, "one pound, six." Yes, you read that right, my sweet COMAND lady kept announcing, "one pound six." Well I'm not looking for a cup of coffee and I'm not even in Britain, so what's up with that, nice lady in my dashboard? Have you lost your mind? And when I'd tell COMAND to "call name," my list of contacts would come up and I'd choose one and try to call and all I'd get was a rapid high-pitched electronic "brrrrrp." So yes, I drove straight to the dealer.

Then -- I pulled into the service area and a nice young man listened to my story and asked, "Do you have an iPhone?"

"Yes."

"Well, I know exactly what the problem is. We see it all the time."

Turns out my brand new iPhone 7 had decided all on its own, without asking me first, to install the latest iOS update, and COMAND's Bluetooth connection was seeing an iPhone that was off-hook and was giving it priority over my iPod which, poor thing, had given up trying to understand what was going on. Bottom line: with my iPhone disabled by the unrequested update, my car was seeing the phone through Bluetooth but not understanding what it was up to, and poor COMAND was going bonkers.

The nice young man in the service department got me hooked up to in-house high speed WiFi and before I knew it, my phone's iOS was updated and COMAND had come back to its senses, and all was well again. A smile and a thanks and a nice tip later, and I was outta there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.