Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W212 for Long Commute

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  2000 C280 Sport 
#1 ·
I am taking a job where I will be driving 41 miles each way, 82 miles per day. 80 of those miles are on the interstate. I have always owned Toyota, Lexus and most recently a Jeep.

I am looking at a new Prius, or a certified 2014 E350 4Matic with 11k miles.

Would you buy this car to put 90k plus miles over the next three years, or steer clear?

(I am clearly a bit nervous to purchase a German car..)

#2 ·
Your profile does not show your location.

The E Class you are looking at has 4Matic.

Does that mean you may encounter snow and ice?

90K miles is gonna be a big hit to resale no matter what new or newish car you buy.

I value my safety, so I would go for the E350 over the Toyota. I would skip the 4Matic unless you drive where the weather sucks. I own a W211 E350 and it would be my choice of ride for a high speed crash.

#6 ·
My nephew has a Prius and it's hard to imagine a situation where I want to drive one to the nearest corner store, let alone commuting 80 miles a day. Never had a branded Toyota sedan, but you mentioned Lexus and, if you're more comfortable with Japanese, my Lexus is extraordinarily comfortable and rides beautifully. Some say handling is a little vague, and if you're looking for a sportier feel, that might be the case, but I don't find it to be an issue. I'll miss it when it's gone.

As far as the 212, I think it's a marvelous vehicle. Built like a tank, handles beautifully, and although the ride is a little firm compared to the Lexus, it's not unlike most luxury/upscale German sedans I've owned (M-Bs, BMWs). They're not cheap to own or maintain, but the mileage you're expecting to put on the car shouldn't be a problem, and going in with a low-mileage CPO should get you some extra warranty coverage.

As mentioned by LostInTime, there has been quite a lot of discussion and complaints about seat comfort in these cars in recent years, so make sure you are looking at one where seat comfort isn't a problem for you. Before buying mine, I sat in one with KILLER seats and almost abandoned my plan to buy one, but found others where I didn't find the seats to be uncomfortable. They are firm compared to the Lexus, but don't break your back or numb your butt on longer trips. Bought ours in NC and drove it back to NY without a problem.

Do the research, consider your needs and weigh your options. You're going to be spending a fair amount of time in whatever you choose. Good luck!

#7 ·
Lots of miles, consider a blutec

I own a 2011 e350 blutec. Your highway mileage will be about 35, high 20's for city. It is expensive to own, unless you do your own maintenance. I would say the same is true for the 4matic youre considering. I save a ton of money by just changing my own oil and filters, checking hoses/belts/ greasing here and there. Small oil leak I just got a quote for was $650 to repair: For me to buy parts and repair myself will be about $130. I do agree with other writer about safety. My old E420 protected me greatly on one accident and my wife in another. Cant beat some extra mass for safety and these cars are built solidly.

#9 ·
If money is no object and you value comfort, ride quality and a solid feel of a car. Get the W212. My seats are very comfortable with leather, heated/Ventilated option. Possibly look into a extended warranty as well? Will this be your only car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.