Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Goodbye and Thank you!!!

10K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  pilotmass 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Yesterday I decided to sell my 2011 E350 and buy a 2014 Kia Optima SXL.

Weird huh?

I decided to sell my E350 because my drive shaft is weeping oil where it connects to the transmission, and the Mercedes service guy that have been servicing my Mercedes told me that it is normal for the seals to weep a little fluid and did not replace the seal.

My concern is that my car was at 48k miles and had only 2k miles left on the factory warranty, and it costs a lot to repair the drive-shaft seal or any transmission related issue on the 4matic out of pocket, which will happen if i bring it back to the dealer when the leak becomes worst.

To the service guy's credit, he did replace my control arm bushing and belt tension-er for free out of warranty due to finding them worn when was checking the car out.

My other problem is that the extended warranty offered by my bank is nearly 9k dollars for my old E350, which is too much in my opinion.

Well, I decided to test drive a new loaded KIA Optima instead of paying nearly 9K-10k to gain more warranty coverage for my E350.

Damn. The car has more equipment than my E350!!! Heated/Cooled seats,heated steering wheel,reverse sensors/backup camera,blind-spot/cross traffic warning, Nappa leather seats/trim,dual panel panoramic sunroof, HID lights,LED fog lights and DRL, push button start, heated rear seats,etc. and it has a turbo engine that is quicker than my 2011 3.5 engine while giving better gas mileage.

All for the price of what my 2011 E350 cost used a year ago, a little over 29k with the KIA having only a 100 miles on the odo new.

Plus, I get a 5 year/60k mile full warranty and 10 year/100k mile power-train only warranty from KIA, plus the dealer only extended power train warranty that adds an addition 10year/100k protection on the factory power-train for total of 20years/200k miles at that particular dealer I bought the car from.:)

To me this was a no-brainer, because my 2011 E350 do not even have leather seats(inserts maybe) or HID lights or heated steering wheel or cooled seats, etc.:)

Plus, me and the wife have an new loaded AWD Ford Edge, so I really did not need the 4matic(which was the only plus for my old E350).

I know some of you may be thinking that it was bad move, but I actually like driving the KIA Optima more than my old E350.

The KIA is very quick, brake well with out fading, roomy on the inside, looks good in person with the HID and LED lights.

However, I can do without the turbo badge and red brake calipers.:(

Now I know that Mercedes E-Classes does come with those features on higher end models like the E550 or optioned out E350 models, but I am deciding to spend my money more wisely now.

I want to gives thanks to this forum for all its help and advice that have save me tons of money.

Take care everyone.

Here my new KIA!! I have got to get used to saying that.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're happy and satisfied, that's what matters.

My only comment would be to hope that the Kia will protect you and your loved ones in the event the worst happens. MB has skimped on some things over the years, but generally speaking safety hasn't been one of them.

Best of luck to you.

#3 · (Edited)
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks all.

And yes, no more spark plug and filter updates on this forum, however the KIA forum is my next victim .:devil

I do agree that the E-class has a more solid feel to it,no doubt.:grin

But, that heaviness works against the 2011 4matic model that I had due to it feeling a bit too heavy for the 268HP engine.

Trust me, if could get a 2012 E550 with a 10 year power train warranty I would be in it, because it makes no difference in how sturdy the body is if the power-train goes out.:grin

I am just being a bit more open to saving money and still having a great car at the same time, because our family budget for our cars is $50K each car and most Mercedes new is too much before I add the extra coverage.

Well, at least KIA gives me plenty of warranty coverage if anything fails.

Now I can do some home additions without worrying about a $5k auto repair job around the corner.:)

Take care guys!!

#8 ·
I agree that Mercedes isn't so good on reliability and you truly get more bang for the buck in a Kia. That's why I lease Mercedes and purchase Lexus. On the other hand, if I were to be in an accident, I'd take Mercedes hands down any day. With the exception of the G class, I feel that Mercedes is the safest car out there. Crash test is one thing, real world crashes are another.

#10 ·
Sad to see you go, but admittedly some of these cars just aren't what they used to be. That's why I prefer to drive a Benz from two-three decades ago. My 2009 E350 is not something I intend to keep forever either -- it's just a transitional car.

Would I go to a Kia, Honda, Nissan, etc.? Probably not, because aesthetically the cars just don't do it for me. At the same time, I don't need all the creature comforts, which is why I'm perfectly at home in my 30-year old cars.

I am, however, shopping around for a truck and am excited at the things I'll be able to finally do once I have it!

Good luck with the new ride!

#12 · (Edited)
I have been driving the KIA for a week now, and must say that it is very nice.

I love the automatic folding side mirrors that fold the mirrors when you lock the doors.

However, I still think that the E-class is a more solid feeling car with more soundproofing in the wheel wells and body.

But, I will add some Dynamat soundproofing to the to the KIA wheel wells and trunk area to better quiet the car.

To KIA's credit the car is very quiet as it is with no rattles, but I have gotten used to the quiet cabin of my E-class.

However, my 2011 E-class was not always quiet due to having some rattles and buzzing in the rear deck panel and trunk which I fixed with felt tape in key areas.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w212-e-class/2154345-rear-package-deck-rattle-fix.html

Overall, the KIA is a nice car to own and a pleasure to drive.

Even ,my wife jokes about how much better the KIA interior is compared to my old 2011 E-class due to fact she hated my fake leather seats and plastic trim in my old 2011 E-class.

Hell, even my wife's new Ford Edge has real stitched leather seats at nearly half the cost of what Mercedes offer in their SUVs without real leather, which helped spark my decision to leave Mercedes due to a Ford having a better looking/feeling interior than my Mercedes.:(

I guess I am starting to see some cars like $300 designer tee shorts.:grin

Whereas, you are paying a lot of money to buy something that does the same thing as something that cost half the price, without any benefits.

Now, do not get me wrong.

Not all cheaper cars will be a great buy, but in the case the 2014 KIA Optima SXL, I believe it is for my budget.;)

FYI, I am not bashing Mercedes or dislike the brand at all.

I really love the service I got from the Mercedes dealership(loaner cars,free juice/coffee,professional nice service,etc.), and I doubt that my experience at KIA will be at the same level.

However, I believe used Mercedes are not very reliable cars for second owners who can not or choose not to pay for very expensive extended warranty coverage.

To add injury to insult, Mercedes are not even equipping their cars with up to date options like blind spot monitoring,reverse sensors,cooled seats,etc. or even real leather seats unless you pay nearly 70k for a car that I believe is not very reliable unless you perform it needed maintenance that requires so much special attention like 40k transmission fluid/filter changes.

All of that would be fine if no one else gave the same options or more that Mercedes does, however the less expensive auto companies do offer the same features as Mercedes and back up their products with very great warranty coverage while having less maintenance requirements, in addition to being safe and dependable to drive.

Mercedes needs to get with the program, because the last 2015 C300 rental I drove while my old E350 transmission was been checked was not that impressive and shuddered at idle, which also helped me decide to just leave the brand completely instead of trying a lesser Mercedes model like the C-class or CLA.

#15 ·
Be careful in the rain. I don't think the Kia has brake drying when you turn the windshield wipers on. Enjoy the car, it won't be a Benz. I Have had Japiness and Korean cars and they don't come close to a Benz after 50,000 miles.

Enjoy the car. Tell us when you come back to a Benz.

#17 ·
I just drove home this morning in the rain, and my new KIA handles great.

Most cars get away without self drying brakes just fine.

To be honest I never really felt that my E350 braked better than any other luxury car I owned that did not have the brake rotor wipers in the rain, not even my KIA.

Which have the same sized brakes as my old E-class, but brakes better in my opinion due too having less weight to stop.

Kind of like the older Volvos headlight wipers, the brake wipers are a nice feature but does it really makes a significant difference?

#19 ·
HTML:
Are you dropping a hint?:grin

#23 ·
Don't understand the last laugh comment, anyone in this forum could have had that Japanese lux brand, but instead chose a German engineered and built Mercedes for many reasons. I don't even notice a damn Lexus anymore.... You're trying hard to justify your Korean car purchase. It'll take a while to convince yourself, and then you'll blend in with all the others *but* a beautiful Mercedes will cruise by you on the highway, and you'll look at your Kia logo in the steering wheel, with a forced half smile and say but I've got auto folding mirrors!

Mercedes>Korean cars all day, every day regardless of how you try to spin it

Don't forget to update your profile details, deleting the Benz and adding your Kia

#24 · (Edited)
To be honest, you are right that I need to let go of this forum.

However, I do not regret buying my 2014 Optima at all.

I am just posting why I made the switch to let others know that you can get a nice car without having to settle for someone else second-hand off-leased car when you can get a nice one new with more features.

I was just saying that Lexus has a better resale value than the German competition even though they was snubbed at the beginning, hence last laugh.

My 2011 Mercedes retailed for over $56k new and is only worth $26k only after 4 years, and to make matters worst my car had only 48k miles on it when I sold it.

Do I like looking at Mercedes cars, yes.

Do I regret trading one in for the KIA, honestly no.

To be honest, there are so many E-classes (especially black ones)in my area that I actually stand out more with my KIA.

But, I understand that you will think that Mercedes is a better car, even though you know that its satisfaction is only skin deep(or should I say sheet metal).

So yes I will look at my steering wheel and know that I am driving a nice reliable car that is covered for over ten years.

I have gotten over needing to have a star on my hood to feel important.:)

Even though I did lose the feeling of superiority I had when I step in and out of my new car that I once had with the Mercedes.:(

P.S. if me and my wife was concerned about image that much we could easily pool our funds and share a new $100K+ German ride(my choice would be the Porsche Panamera) to impress onlookers, but what is the point.;)

#25 ·
Remember it's a10 year or 100,000 mile warranty. You actually got a good number for your trade. A car will be worth 50% of the window sticker at 3 years or 36k miles.

The brake dryers work when the widshield wipers are on. I guess you never drove your Benz in the rain without them on to see the difference.

Enjoy your car report back in a year or two to tell us if you are still happy with the car.

#26 · (Edited)
Well actually the powertrain is 20year/200k miles if I take it to the KIA dealership I bought the car from.

It is their special new car warranty deal for new customers which adds a 10year/100k extension to the factory powertrain warranty.

I have used my old E350 wipers many times in the rain, and honestly did not notice a significant improvement in wet braking compared to any other sport luxury car I have owned that did not have the rotor wiping function.

Hell, I did not learn that my 2011 E350 had the function until about a couple months after I bought it.
However, it does not mean that it did not work well.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but that 50% depreciation after three years is not standard for all auto makes or models.

Different factors such as desirability and region also determines a car's value and depreciation.

Mercedes are very common in area, but most new ones are leased and sell cheap used with low miles.

I had to fight hard to get my $26k trade due to how many used 2011 E-classes were siting in the dealer lots in my area selling for about $27K-29k with less miles than mine.

Hence, why I paid nearly $30k for my KIA.

I should got it for about $28K-29K, but then the dealer would give me less for my trade.

Since I found that the KIA optima has a strong aftermarket following including chip tuning for the turbo, I think I may be happy with this car for while.:)

I actually like simple to own cars, even though it will never be as fast a E550 or E63.:(

But then never would my old 2011 E350.

So remember that I have left a kind of boring older Mercedes model to go to the KIA, not an AMG or V8 model.

Trust me, the 2014 KIA Optima SXL is an improvement compared to the 2011 model E350 4matic I had.

#27 · (Edited)
2011 Kia Optima's are going for $13-14k, boy those will be fun times....you like simple cars to own trust me you got one... These goodby threads, whether car, boat, bike etc generally turn into this. OP says goodby, proceeds to tell everyone how awesome the new (in this case Korean FWD econobox) purchase is vs. his outgoing old boring stripped, piling up at dealerships, unreliable POS to try and "inform" owners that there are options out there. Uh ya, we know of the many options out there, thank you for caring so much about us.
Realize how many times you've used the word old to justify your shiney new KIA to a group of people who could give a rats ass about a frieking KIA. Now if it were a K900, vs a downscale entry level Optima then maybe people might pay a little attn. Continue your self justification process, in a effort to help us. I'll be rolling down the road in either of my P2+ equipped 550's. My Distronic actually lets out a lil chuckle if I'm bearing down on a Kia, might to have to get that looked at.

#32 · (Edited)
I will use my BLS to alert me to when you are in my blind-spot, oops I forgot your car does not have that.

So I guess you will have to turn your neck to check your blind spot even with your beloved P2 package.:)

FYI, I am not really interested in your early 2010 E550 considering it is a not really worth even considering compared to the 2012 E550 on up models.

Even the Mercedes dealer told me to not even waste time looking at your model year E550, but referred me to the 2012 twin-turbo E550 model he had on the lot.

Now that is a car, however I decided against buying it obliviously.

So, we both have cars that are not the cream of the crop.:)

As I am sure that Bentley owners will say all our cars are sh-t to what they drive, Mercedes and KIA both.:)

#30 · (Edited)
Some of you are so predictable.:)

I knew that someone was going to be nasty and snobbish about the KIA brand.

I said that my KIA Optima was a better deal than my low-end 2011 E350 with only P1, but low and behold the E550 guys are the ones jumping in.

In addition, I am making a point that Mercedes needs to keep up with the competition because they finish last in every car vs. car test done by the auto reviewers including the E550 to the Infiniti Q50(low-end luxury car).

So, yes Mercedes as a company needs to give the customers more for the money in my opinion in terms of driving pleasure,reliability, and equipment.

Hell, many people do not even like to sit in the seat of their own E-class due to how uncomfortable it feels, so some of you need to open your eyes to the truth about your beloved company lack of effort, because the company is relying on snobbish people like yourself to just buy their cars for the name plate or hood ornament.

Furthermore, I never said that KIA is a better car company than Mercedes, just a better value.

Yes, I could have bought a larger model like the K900, but I liked how the Optima SXL drives and look.

Some of you are just pathetic, especially the one bragging about his Porsche to someone posting about value.

It shows just how pathetic and narrow-minded some of you are.

I am not posting this thread to impress anyone about my KIA, just posting information about a a nice car with plenty of options that is actually reliable and cost effective.

This is becoming a long goodbye because I have to keep answering posts from snobs, but I expected that this would happen.:)

#31 ·
You sir are a Troll:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

#33 · (Edited)
Really?

I think you may have to look at your previous post again Mr. I have a GT3 on a thread discussing a value car, and give yourself that title of Troll.:wink

However, I did expect that some of you would get defensive about my thread and post nasty comments about the KIA.

But you sir surprised me by throwing in the fact that you have a GT3 in a conversation about a Optima and E350.

Sad.

#34 · (Edited)
You still have not updated your user profile, deleting the Benz and adding your brand new amazing KIA. Other poster was spot on re: the Troll comment. You said you expected the reaction from us snobs, and got it.... so fits the definition to a T. No? Not feeling the KIA love on a W212 forum? Shocking, call a wambulance already!
Hate to tell you but KIA is very likely at the bottom of a Benz lovers bucket list, it just is.
So your dealer tried to steer you to a 2012 550 he had on his lot? Well, there's a shocker. My NA 5.5L motors have been bulletproof so far, both of them, also hearing good things about it's replacement, what's your point? they will both blow right past you like you were standing still.

Again, you can feel the love at the KIA forum link I posted. Plenty of issues owners are having you can catch up on..

BTW, I have blind spot, so does my sons Mazda, and wife's Infiniti..most Benz people would pick up on that when I mentioned Distronic? Enjoy your KIA.....:grin

#36 · (Edited)
I can appreciate your position Greg. It is/was respectful and direct.

I do not moderate this board, nor do I have any affiliation with it. I appreciate it and have gotten some great tips from it related to my W212. My understanding is that this section is for W212's and is for discussing issues, questions and experiences related to W212's. When W210 comments are made folks are directed away as W210 comments are not appropriate for this section.

Unfortunately I have this account tied to my email/iPhone and I responded originally wishing the OP Best Wishes days ago when the Good Bye started. Because I made that response I have received multiple (over 20) email updates over several days about a KIA from the OP, its safety features, value etc and the shortcomings of the MB and the MB brand from the OP.

I think you’re absolutely right. The OP is clearly working through some KIA self justification.... Is that really appropriate for a MB W212 forum? I think not. If comments on another model MB aren't appropriate for this forum I sure don't see how KIA discussions could be. That is by definition Troll ing. On my Porsche board Troll ing is strictly forbidden. Often we have others sign on in different forums to explain how much better their XYZ car is than a Porsche and how foolish all the Porsche owners are, I pull them out immediately. It's clear the OP enjoys a good joust and it was cute for the first few days, but enough is enough. I brought up trading my cars for KIA's to illustrate how off topic this has become.

I'm not signed up for a KIA forum. This is not a KIA forum.

#37 ·
Unfortunately I have this account tied to my email/iPhone and I responded originally wishing the OP Best Wishes days ago when the Good Bye started. Because I made that response I have received multiple (over 20) email updates over several days about a KIA from the OP, its safety features, value etc and the shortcomings of the MB and the MB brand from the OP.
Good Lord. Instead of getting upset with the forum about being continually pestered with all the notifications you're redirecting your frustration to the OP posting about his new car (in partial defense to an onslaught)? If that's the case, perhaps my opinion should be discounted because I own a W210 and not a W212? ;)

Here's a couple of suggestions; perhaps they may make your forum life more enjoyable. Go into your userCP and change your default settings so that you are not automatically subscribed to threads when you start one or post in one (that social interface they added a few years ago tries to be like facebook, assuming you want to know everything all the time!!). Alternatively, when you DON'T want to be notified about a particular thread, then in that single thread read the banner across the top and when you see "thread tools" click it and scroll to the option for "unsubscribe thread." (You'll have to do that for all of the threads to which you were previously automatically subscribed and for which you don't want to be notified.)

That's it. Then you only have to read more in any thread if you choose to return. Me, I hadn't seen any of this since my initial post and was actually kind of sad that so many were jumping all over the guy.

And I forgot to mention...it's also worth pointing out that when a member of a group chooses to take an action outside the norm, it's human nature to go after him or her for doing so, as has been exhibited here. The psychology of it is much deeper than I need to here detail, but suffice it to say that it stems from many things, of which I'll mention just a few: the desire to belong (and the "outcast" is perceived to threaten the group stability), the desire to defend the group mentality, the desire to defend one's own position in the group, and the desire to defend the group tradition. I think all have been exhibited in this thread as well.

As I say, we're all human and as such we are all individuals. If we all agreed on everything, two things would be true: the world would be a very boring place and most of us would simply be redundant.

If Person A feels the need to poke Person B for a decision they've made that actually does not impact person A (in any normal sense of the word), then it's normal that Person B may do a little poking in return. It doesn't make either of them right or wrong or stupid or smart. It just is what it is, and arguing about it doesn't do anything other than hurt other people's feelings...and what point is there in that? :(

#39 ·
This has gone on long enough; I've been watching this thread since it began, as I knew an inevitable storm would ensue.

The OP enjoys his new car as it suits his needs and tastes better -- nothing more to discuss. Let it also be known that while this is a W212 forum, members are free to share their experiences with whatever they choose so long as they don't drag things too far off topic. The comparisons between his early-W212 and his Optima from his point of view were perfectly valid and didn't stray off the subject of W212s all together. This is no reason to start a witch hunt, however.

I understand people may take certain remarks personal or feel the need to play the Devil's advocate and counter everything, but that makes for a hostile and very unpleasant forum experience.

Play nice, fellas, we're all here to help one another.

#40 ·
My thoughts when this thread started; customers are hard to gain, harder yet to keep and something Mercedes could be better at.

MNfamilyguy- we call that a BELLYFLOOP “on my Porsche board” :wtf:

CarolinaBluet EC: very nicely said. :Smoker:

Patch
Just strolled over from the W210 forum

#41 ·
I have owned many Mercedes. Many times I vowed I would never own another. A sadistic mistress they are. I have had many cars overall actually. Never had the problems with '80's Ferrari's exccept A/C. BMW's were great up until about 1996. I loved a 740il until it catastrophically destroyed its' own tranny on the way to the airport. I caught a cab from the freeway. It was subsequently stolen and never saw it again. Best MBZ I ever owned was a 300SD. Sold it. Then about 4 190's. All died an overheating head gasket death but one. Friend borrowing it got rear ended hard and totalled it sitting at a green light. I had 1998 ML320 that had the 8 key problem back when there was no solution to it. (Probably still isn't) I took my stuff out of it and left it on the service adviser's doorstep and told them to keep the pile of crap. It ran great and was reliable. but couldn't start because of the key problem.Really Mercedes? No solution other than spend $3,500 on another computer with 8 keys programmed adn change the locks? Now I have a one owner E430 (For the second time,Ex got the first one) The Japanese cars and the city bus give me non-stop reliability to get to my main job and home. I am anonymous in them and left alone.I am someone's wingman driving in formation down the freeway. My down car is the Honda Civic. Hers the Subaru WRX Turbo, a wicked little all wheel drive car that scares Porsches. I also have a Ford F-150 with 175,000 that with maintenance never breaks. Ya gotta have a truck for dump runs or pulling a car trailer.
That said, my personality is reflected when I drive my E430 or my cabriolet Ferrari. I maintain both and fix them before they break and enjoy it. I am semi-retired working for a Fortune 500 auto parts company ($75 is my cost on Mercedes water pumps) and have been a real estate broker in Hawaii and California since 1991. I drive one car to one job and the other car to the other job. Guess which ones to which jobs...
The new Kia and others are reflective of the new post recession attitude of having savings, no debt and living within one's means. Buying value is also important. I have noticed now that those new cars with all the toys of a Mercedes are also commanding similar prices for the replacement parts. The warranty is great because they have built that in but when your headlight bulb goes out it is still going to cost you $105.00 and not a halogen one for $11.59. I love the chrome rims on yours. Funny how the aftermarket industry made the auto manufacturers start putting things in the cars that we want. A good sound system that won't be stolen, 20" rims, etc.
I don't think I own anything newer than 2003 (Her Subaru bought new) and the oldest is 1967 (Her Alfa Romeo,her first car.)
I am on the Ferrari forum and used to go on ride and drives and saw more Corvettes, Vipers and brand X cars than Ferraris.I could never understand why those folks were afraid to drive their cars and rubbed them with diapers. The rich owners raced them and wrecked them the way they should. Cars are meant to be driven and ultimately reflect our changing personalities and way of life. When we are done loving cars then they are just transportation and disposable. I still can't get a good cup holder. . .
Enjoy that KIA. Having the family is the REAL treasure, having peace of mind is the best gift to them of all.

#42 ·
I have a 2012 KIA Optima which I bought new. I like the KIA's style, equipment, and the long standard manufacturer warranty. I have since put in 40K miles on it and the car is problem free. $30 on oil change by a KIA dealer with a free car wash, free bottle water or Starbucks coffee at the show room. It certainly is a car with better value than a Mercedes.

Having that said, the E350 gives me a much solid feel from the sound I open/close the door; lane change, and acceleration.

I also have a Chevy Corvette Z06 with a supercharger. It has the best handling and speed but the interior material is the worst amount the three cars. Service at Chevy dealer is also not as good as KIA and Mercedes.

It is to not easy to compare cars by different brands. Each brand has its own target customer group in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.