Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Dash Cam Recommendation Needed!

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GregTR 
#1 ·
After being in two major accidents in which neither were my fault, I've decided to invest in a dash cam. I'm looking at various types but would like to hear your experiences! One design in particular caught my interest. The models that have both front and rear cams. (In the first accident, the truck driver lied and told the cops I cut him off so the rear view mode would have been VERY useful.)

This is the model I'm looking at:

Incredisonic Falcon F-360 HD Rear View Mirror

Anyone have one of these or recommend one they absolutely love?! Thanks!

#2 ·
Will that one you're looking at even fit? Check out the first 20 seconds of this video. It looks great, just not so sure you'd get it to fit.

This is the one I got. I'm relatively happy with it, after I tinkered with it a little. As the whole world knows (but the manufacturers of this camera don't), a windshield isn't straight, it's curved. That means that the only way you could get this camera working sensibly would be if it's located exactly in the middle (horizontally) of the windshield, directly below the rear view mirror. That's too obstructive in my opinion. I located mine on the opposite side of the rear view mirror, where I can't even see it while I'm driving. That meant that it was about 15 degrees off-center, so I wasn't getting a good straight ahead view. So I opened it up, cut off a mounting locator thing, and then instead of screwing it back together, I re-aligned it by 15 degrees and super-glued the top part to the bottom part. You'd never notice it, but now it's perfectly aligned. By default at startup it goes straight into video-recording mode (I guess most of them do), and it wraps around (and starts deleting) when the microSD card (32GB) gets full. I run it in 1080p mode and that gives me about 8 hours before overwriting occurs. I can triple that if I run it in 720p, but it's not 2005 anymore so I don't do that :)

When I was looking at amazon, the reviews for mine were pretty bad, but I took a risk because it had the spec and price I was wanting. I'm glad I did. It's not a front-and-back camera, but I'm happy enough. It encodes the date/time/speed onto the videos.

I don't think I'd recommend mine because of the needing to modify it due to it's lack of horizontally rotational adjustment, but I thought you might want to hear my story anyway :)

Oh, and I'm very unimpressed with the nighttime performance of mine. That one you mentioned said something about nightvision. I'd definitely look for that feature.

If anyone's thinking why don't you just run one of the free apps on your phone. I tried that for a few months (with the free android app "daily roads voyager"), but you can't beat having it be auto-start, auto-recycle, and no interaction needed at all. I start my car, the camera's running, I stop the car, the camera stops. I need do nothing at all.

#3 ·
I bought one of these: Complete Review of Urive Albatross II MD-7500P 1080p + 720p | DashCamTalk

It might be a bit on the large side but I can't even see it from where I'm sitting in the driver seat.

The only issues I found with mine are:

1) The blue LEDs have to be taped over, I got pulled over for having flashing blue lights on the car.

2) The event sensitivity is too high so it will record a lot of acceleration based "events" even during normal driving. It's not a big deal but some people with smaller memory cards found it to be an issue as it fills up the card and won't have enough empty space to do its thing as a black-box. I'm using a 64GB card so it's a non-issue

3) Sometimes it forgets the settings and it resets to defaults which means I have to move the card to the PC to set up the time zone and other settings manually.

Overall I think it is the best dual setup on the market today and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.