Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Comfort Box...

15K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  NewMBguy*19 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I noticed that the 2014 E-Class is not outfitted (standard in 2012) with the manual bag hooks in the trunk that could be used to hook plastic bags. If I had known that I would have seriously considered the Comfort Box! What are you all using to prevent bags etc. from moving around in the trunk if you don't have the Comfort Box? Are the Comfort Boxes able to be placed post production?

Len

#6 ·
I guess I'm old fashioned! I use the boxes I get from Costco or Sams, since that's where I normally go, and I keep a few around when I do go grocery shopping.

That said, with the trunk tray in the W211, I've not had any issues with anything sliding around.

#7 ·
Thanks Vai, I was going to ask what other options were available. I fail to understand how MB could NOT have a basic standard option for bags. I'm not a fan of the box, but didn't realize that there was no other option to secure simple bags etc.

#8 ·
Dwight,

from the sound of things -- it looks like MB cut several corners to keep the 2014 E class similarly priced to last year -- a trend they've been good at for a few years now.

The bag hook parts run around $150 .. consider this a corner cut to keep the price "competitive"

#13 ·
Hi, wonder anyone can help me? I want to install a comfort box in my 2016 E350 4-Magic trunk. Got the comfort box on eBay, but didn’t come with any mounting brackets. Do I need them? Apparently I could not install the comfort box without the brackets. I couldn’t find any YouTube video. Dealers were not helpful at all. They have no idea. Thanks.

#17 ·
Thank you for the picture and your input. So based on your understanding, there is no brackets needed. Apparently, the guy on eBay told me that I did not need anything additional for me to install the box. When I told me that I couldn't install it because I have nothing in the trunk to attach the box with, he told me I needed 2 brackets. In fact, he found them from MB of Germany for $60 US. I spent $130 + for the box already and he wanted me to spend an additional $60 without any guaranty that it would fit. Had I known this, I would not have gotten it. Now I am stuck with a useless pieced of you know what sitting in my garage. Lastly, is it possible to send me some pictures of the area that the box is attached to? Thank you so much of your help.

#15 ·
Even though this thread started 5½ years ago, the content is probably still relevant for some, so I'll throw in my $.02...FWIW.

I have the Comfort Box since new and I've never used it. I find it to be too big and cumbersome whether it's open or not, and it just gets in the way.

Instead, I do what Josh does (post #6) and use boxtops from Sam's Club to hold our groceries. I can get at least 4 full large paper bags or 4 cloth bags into the trunk without difficulty and still have room left over. If I was regularly using the trunk for any other purpose, especially luggage, I'd take the damned Comfort Box out.

Reactions: archham
#16 ·
I do have comfort box in my car and had to remove it for longer trip as standard sizes suitcase would not fit in the trunk with box mounted.
For every day use, I carry spare donut wheel in trunk wrapped in old sheet.
Whenever I have rolling load, I put it inside the wheel, while other boxes go on side of the wheel, what prevents from moving around the trunk.
Bottom line, I used the box less times, than got annoyed by it.

#19 ·
Two rear comfort box attachments go straight into the back shelf area, and two tabs in the front go in metal oval cutouts front of shelf underside.

Check under rear shelf in trunk at seat metal cross member and see if there are two holes that match the rear attachments on the comfort box if not you will need brackets to hold the rear of the comfort box closest to the rear seat. I assume this is what eBay seller is referring to, see photo. The "knobs" you refer to hold the front of the comfort box by locking comfort box up in place.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.