Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Extended Warranty Question

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2011 E350. It is still under manufacturer warranty until 2/25/15.

I am looking to purchase an extended warranty from MB. I contacted a couple of dealers and was told that since I bought my MB from a non MB dealer (I disclosed that to them), that my car is ineligible for an extended warranty from MB. If I would have bought it from a private seller, it would be eligible.

How would they be able to tell if I did not disclose that fact?

Also, does anyone have a good third party warranty company that they could recommend.

Someone told me Warranty Direct was good, but they seem expensive. They are looking for $4900 for 7/100,000 with $100 deductible, bumper to bumper coverage. The only nice thing is that it's 7 years from now. So the car is covered until 5/2020.

I have also received a quote from a MB dealer for a third party warranty. He said it will cover all mechanical and electrical parts same as the factory coverage but no cosmetic or wear and tear items. The quote was for 75k miles expiring 2018 with $100 deductible for $1995 or 85k miles expiring 2019 with $100 deductible for $2495.

Is this a good deal? Which one?

Thanks for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sorry to say, but the dealers were not telling you the truth.

You can purchase a MB factory extended warranty as long as your car is still under the factory warranty. I've already talked to Erin Mahre at Santa Rosa MB in Northern Cal, and she provided a few quotes for me. I'd give her a call at 707-521-3996 and see what she says. The quote she provided me was MB factory, not third party. And, with no deductible or tax. However, you may incur a surcharge from MB. Since, you did not take the initial warranty offer from the dealer within 30 days after you bought your car.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

#3 ·
That's what I thought as well. But I did speak with Erin and she said no. Since I bought my car used from a non MB dealer, I am unable to get an extended warranty through MB.

This is the same story I got from a dealer in WI (another one that is recommended on the forums)

So I am all confused as I keep reading that I can, like you said, get one while the car is still under original warranty.

:(

#7 ·
Try MaxCare from CarMax as well. I bought my Benz from them and got a 6 year/12500 mile bumper to bumper with $200 deductible for less than $2000. Peace of mind in case something expensive breaks. You can take the car anywhere you like for repairs. If they cant repair the issue (advanced repairs needed), they will take it to MB authorized service center to get it repaired properly

#8 ·
I am also looking for a good third party warranty. I bought a 2010 E350 with 42,000 miles. it was just out of warranty. I can get a warranty from my local MB dealer, one thru Mercedes for 3 years or 75,000 miles ($2300) and another thru Zurich that covers 6 years or 100,000 miles ($6000). Both have $0 deductibles. I can opt for a $100 deductible on the Zurich that will save me about $500 on the initial cost.

Both seem pricey. I have tried to call some of the people suggested in the forum, but with the car not certified or currently under warranty they can't help me out.

#10 · (Edited)
My car was a dealer bought CPO that I paid to extend that warranty and it ran out after 7 years (or 100,000) which were the maximums then. Having ~72,000 miles the same dealer recommended Fidelity Warranty Services which I believe has since changed their name (but the last time I looked I could still find them using the old name).

I bought one that was 3/36,000 that covered some things that even surprised the dealer, valve cover leaks for example. At least they used to offer 3 tiers of coverage, silver gold and platinum; I bought platinum and can easily recommend them.

http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.