Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Repair code 2010 E350 4matic

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  VickDee 
#1 ·
New to the Benzworld world; hope it's okay to just jump in without doing the intro stuff first.

Are there repair codes that one can refer to that spell out how MB either prefers or requires dealers to do when ( for instance ) front brake pads need replacing?

Let's see if I can explain: a friend buys a Certified Pre-Owned 2010 E-350 4matic with 37K. In here folder is a complete history from the dealer albeit a little vague or short on details.

There are several entries for tire replacement 4k miles 17k miles, brake, brake sensor, castor bolt, tire sensor, brake flush 29k miles, brake wear sensor, "brake linings" tire pressure sensor, 4 new tires 37K and "front brakes- 'reconditioned' "
She buys the car.
I immediately hear a strange whining noise when we brake; the noise starts around 50 MPH until it stops. She claims she doesn't hear it. There is also a clunking noise when she turns the car and the wheel hits a bump. Sounds like suspension to me. She finally takes the car in for the clunking. They tell her it's a strut on the right front. The repair order comes back as coil springs both sides, castor bolt kit both sides, wheel toe angle, 4 wheel alignment.
49K I take a tech for a ride. He hears the whining. He says: brakes or tire.

I take the car to our non dealer mechanic who checks it and says it is coming from the brakes but the pads look almost new as do the rotors. She thinks the warranty will cover it so we take it back to the dealer. The dealer calls back and calls it " normal wear and tear " claims the brakes need replacing. I tell him about the brake and tire replacement 12 K ago. He then claims that the pads were replaced but not the rotors and the rotors are in need of replacing.

Every MB that I have ever had ( other makes of new cars also ) I've been told that " the manual " states that all brake pad replacement includes new rotors. The reason I am told is because pads mate with rotors and installing only new pads results in problems. So if the manual requires both to be done at the same time then the dealer was cutting corners as I see it.

The car is on it's way back home now ( concierge service ). $1800.00 for front pads and rotors and one tire. They knocked $200.00 off because I called MB USA and complained.

MB USA kept telling me that " I am not a tech person so I don't know what is required by the manual " If there is a page and a code that I can send to her she tells me she will refer it back to the dealer.

Sounds like a warranty dance to me.

Any MB techs who can tell me what is the gospel according to MB? And if there is a code and or page # I would like that also.

Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.