Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pothole Bummer . . .

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MAE320 
#1 ·
When I got home from a 10 day trip I noticed a sidewall embolism on the left front tire of my new wagon. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before I left, but on closer inspection, it is most likely from a hitting a pothole (we have plenty here in NE). Went to the dealer today, and sure enough, the tire is toast and I have a bent rim! Less than 500 miles on those tires! The dealer has been good and is working with me on it, but ouch, what a bummer! I got the AMG wheel package (which is effectively a +1 wheel), and it seems the MB "disclaimer" was indeed true - the lower profile tires are much more sensitive to road hazard damage.

I still love my wagon though. :)

#2 ·
Oh noooo!

That sucks. I have th same package and I am super lucky so far. Just clicked over the 1K mark last week and still all wheels and tires are sound. I did buy into the wheel and tire insurance all in so of course the only time I will get that is when the insurance runs out.

I too, love the wagon. I put my foot into it on some rural roads last weekend in northern indiana and have a note for all of you. That V6 is great.That tranny is smooth, but I think the paddle shifters are pretty lazy. Any way to wake them up a bit would be great.

Go Wagons!

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the club! I had my car in for a rattle and a tire rotation at Wagner and today was told I had a bent front wheel. Not even sure how it happened as I have never hit anything major, yet. The wheels on these cars are so soft, prima dona type of rims :mad:. And I have the same wheels as you, part of the AMG package. Good thing they look pretty :). They fixed the rim for $165 in case you are wondering for an idea on price.

Fix included wheel straightening, mounting and balancing. Not a bad price as compared with RimPRO in Tewksbury that charges an arm and a leg!

Now I am wondering if a 255/40/18 size tire will fit on these rims. This way it will be a bit higher profile.

#6 ·
Welcome to the club! I had my car in for a rattle and a tire rotation at Wagner . . . .

Now I am wondering if a 255/40/18 size tire will fit on these rims. This way it will be a bit higher profile.
I had mine up at Holloway, Greenland. It was $259 for the tire, $168 for the straightening, and $25 for M & B - actually cheaper than the tire shop I usually use and, as you mention, Rim Pro (I have had them do my my rare-as-hens-teeth 15" Triumph wheels). I have found their service department excellent to deal with. The parts guys at Wagner are great also - they have helped me on many a rare-bird part for my W124 cabriolet.

I think the 255/40-18 would probably fit, but it would only be 2mm taller than the 245/40-18s while at the same time being 5 mm wider. I'm not sure how much extra "cushioning" that would give, but it is an interesting thought.

Next time . . . .

#7 ·
Watch that 2x5 increase...

I was pulling the wagon out of the garage today and forgot to hit the security defeat on the garage door opener on the wall so I had to walk back into the garage to hit the flashing button thingy. I noticed that the wheel was close to full lock in order to make the 3 point turn out of my garage and after admiring the broadside of the wagon for a few glorious seconds I then noticed there was not much room at all between the rubber and the rear vented wheel well liner. Its pretty tight in there already with the wheel turned dramatically on the AMG/sport package, so take a close look before you mount that extra meat.

Best,
Bob

#8 ·
I was pulling the wagon out of the garage today and forgot to hit the security defeat on the garage door opener on the wall so I had to walk back into the garage to hit the flashing button thingy. I noticed that the wheel was close to full lock in order to make the 3 point turn out of my garage and after admiring the broadside of the wagon for a few glorious seconds I then noticed there was not much room at all between the rubber and the rear vented wheel well liner. Its pretty tight in there already with the wheel turned dramatically on the AMG/sport package, so take a close look before you mount that extra meat.

Best,
Bob
Thanks Bob, Yes. I have seen that as well. I talked with the parts department of my dealer and they mentioned it will fit however it will be very very tight, between 2-3 mm of clear space on the angle you are mentioning. I might give it a try when the Contis I have give up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.