Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pandora integration with 2010 e350 Command system

22K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  Rlima69 
#1 ·
I have been looking for way to get the information (song, album, artist) from Pandora from my Android phone to display on the command screen and the screen in the display cluster of my 2010 e350. i wasn't able to find one so i went off to program one myself. everything is fully functional now and is a better option in my opinion than satelite. is anyone interested in having this capability? im trying to gauge interest if i should put this in the android market or not. i'll prolly put it up for free but at least i would like a mb hat or shirt out of the deal. :D

it also works in a 2011 bmw 535xi. i don't have any other cars to test on.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
It is a specific issue with the Android implementation of Pandora - for whatever reason, Pandora decided not to send the track details via the Bluetooth link, so while the music works, the track details do not show up.

iPhone does not appear to have the same issue.

The 'patch' to the app simply adds the relevant code in to send the track detail via the Bluetooth link.

Steve

#40 ·
I have a 2011 without the upgraded command software so I am not able to stream music. I know there are instructions on how to go into Engineer mode and turn it on but I don't have them. Can you post them here or PM me please? Then after that is on I wanted to be able to get the Pandora app. Thanks,:)

#44 ·
Sorry, been out of the country for a couple weeks and haven't had a chance to update this thread...

For those that need it :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46286952/com.pandora.android-1_v4.1.2.apk

Thats the 4.1.2 Pandora with the modification to provide Artist, Album and Track detail via the Bluetooth connection.

You will need to uninstall Pandora from your phone, and then install this APK (You will need to enable Applications from Unknown Sources in order to do the install...I recommend turning it back off once you have).

#45 ·
Steve. I got your PM. Thank you. I do see that the APK download file is in the link you posted. I will use that. I do have a question for you. I had already done a hack with an APK file in my phone that provided me the Pandora with NO commercials and also unlimited song skipping.
Is there a way to integrate that with the the availability to transfer song information?
If you want me to send you or post here the link to download the unlimited APK pandora let me know.
Thanks,

#46 · (Edited)
I subscribe to the Pandora One service ($3 a month...less than a Latte.)

I don't worry about the commercials, and 6 skips an hour seems to cover me quite comfortably. The No Commercials/Unlimited Skips hack is effectively stealing revenue and costing Pandora money (they pay a royalty for every song you start to play...hence the limitation on skips per hour). Yes, there is a way to integrate the two, but I won't do it.

#52 ·
Bluetooth streaming works fine with the original Pandora application, but artist/album/title information is not passed to the Comand display.

This APK is the original Pandora, with three extra lines of code that send that data out so Comand can display it.

Uninstall the original Pandora app from your device, and install this one. That's basically all you need to do. (Note: you will need to turn on 'Install from Unknown Sources' in your device for the APK to install - this is because the package is NOT from the Play Store...if it was and worked, we wouldn't need to do anything :D - turn it back off once the install is done to protect your security).

#54 ·
I get this occasionally. It's because it uses the 'now playing' module to send the data, and sometimes that doesn't get called in the app if the app isn't in the foreground (i.e. Visible on the phone.)

Make sure Pandora is the active application (i.e. Open pandora on your phone and press play.) Also, make sure another music app isn't hogging the lock-screen or anything. Usually if I bring Pandora up on the phone while it's playing, the info pops right up, and then I can lock the phone and it works fine. If I use the phone during the day, I usually just flip back to Pandora once I get into the car just to make sure it sends the data again.

If that doesn't work, turn Bluetooth off on the phone, wait 10 seconds or so, then turn it back on. Usually it will sync back up.

#55 ·
New information!!

To enable streaming Pandora in my 2011 E550 coupe was what I was told an easy software update at the dealership. It works great! Now I just go from audio to bluetooth and it recognizes it immediately. I can detail the exact steps if anyone needs them but not for the software upgrade. That you must do on your own. Need I mention that "taking care" of the folks that wash my car and check me in at the dealership paid itself back with interest today. There was no charge but to my way of thinking even an hours labor would be worth it.

#56 ·
Just to clarify :

Pandora on Android had a specific flaw where it would not send Artist/Album/Track data via the Bluetooth stream, so while the music would play, the info wouldn't show. The APK simply inserts this information into the Bluetooth stream so that it DOES show.

The modified Android APK does NOT fix the Bluetooth streaming functionality itself. Bluetooth streaming can usually be enabled via the Engineering Menu on Comand, or via a Software Update (search the forum, it's mentioned a number of times).

iPhone, Windows Phone, Spotify, Google Play etc etc...you're on your own ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.