Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Staggered Wheels on 4Matic

10K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  FastE 
#1 ·
I attended the local dealer's open house this past weekend and noticed a 2013 Sport C300 4Matic with front wheels 225x 18 and rear wheels 255x 18.
It was my understanding 4Matic vehicles could not have staggered wheels.
The salesman did not know anything about the application.
Appreciate your input on this.
Cheers

#2 ·
the tire size is close enough to allow the stagered size with the 4matic system to work properly. if anything, it allows the clutch disc in the transfer case portion of the 722.9 transmission to slip a little bit during stright driving to prevent the "transfercase shudder" that was so common with the 203, 211, and 220 4matic vehicles.

#4 ·
As above the staggered rims are possible on the 4 Matic, it is the case with the sport models. The only downside to this is that you can't rotate your tires.
Well, that and the fact that wider tires are worse in the snow...which is one of the predominant reasons to own a 4matic. ;)

Reactions: Pauly K
#8 ·
I run 245's in the winter, but am pondering a staggered setup for the summer as well. My buddy has a 2010 e63 with 285's on the back, but that is RWD. Still nervous about messing with the standard 245's on my pseudo AMG sport package. If I stay equal, I may move to 255's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.