Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New here some questions about the 2010 E-Class

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Benz4me2 
#1 ·
Considering a 2010 E but have some questions,

1) Can you change the grill from the standard one to the sport style "Big Star" grill like on the coupe? How easy is it to do? Do you have to take the bumper off?

2) I'm noticing most of the used ones don't have Xenon head lights. How hard is it to install these? What parts are needed?

3) How reliable are these cars? Expensive to maintain? I've heard the 350's are quite solid.

THANK YOU!!!

#4 · (Edited)
DTM, i have answers for you:

1) you "can", but not the factory Coupe grille directly from MB as that wont fit the sedan; you have to get an aftermarket one from ebay/online like this (i have this grille myself with the factory OEM button emblem, never mounted, if you get the car and want this set, let me know)
2010 W212 Mercedes E Class E350 E550 Grill grille S +MB - eBay (item 270572839125 end time Aug-25-11 02:00:22 PDT)

It's easy to do, look into this / MBworld forum for "Star grille" and you will find instructions. There's maybe 5-7 hex screws to loosen for the grille, and a pair of pliers to twist counterclockwise on the bottom side of the MB start to loosen that. You def do not need to take bumper OFF

2) You can get aftermarket HID lights (with ballast) and put them in the lowbeams ( i havent used HIDs yet, but i did switched the factory yellowish H7 bulbs to "MTEC Cosmos Blue H7 Headlight Bulbs", with "PIAA 19172 168 Xtreme White Wedge Bulb - 2 Piece" as the Parking lamps... now my car front lights look a tad blue-ish and sparkling, love it!! ); but the High beams are diff, there's a "disco ball" in the bi-xenon highbeam where as there's a reg housing for non-bixenons. You "can" put in another set of HID for the high beam, but i dont know how it will shoot. If you do want to get the factory bi-Xenon, you will HAVE TO change the entire housing, though i still dont know how you can get the adaptive lighting to work. I wouldnt do that myself, if you are dead-set for the bi-xenon, just go for the P2 car since you still have a chance.

3) had mine for almost 4 months, no problem at all, except when the auto trans down shifts when i let go of gas going from 40mph to 30 mph , the trans jerk a little. Also, i got the E350, so i didnt expect a 550 v8 vroom vroom; as long as your expectation for the E350 is that it's a cruising MB with a somewhat heavy chassis, and the car has some punch when you do need it (learn to use the tip-tronic, it helps to know how to use it when you need it), you wont be disappointed; the steering is first class, very responsive. No maintenance yet except for the usual services, except for car wash!!

Service A around $250 (around every 10-12k miles) while Service B around $500 (every 20-24k miles); transmission service at 40k miles (there's alot of debates on this transmission fluid flush service recommended by most dealers, do some research on this)

MB is now offering new extended warranty on cars, 120k or 135k, with 1 or 2 more yrs extra respectively, look it up, may cost 1500 and 2500 respectively, on top of the CPO extended warranty, maybe worthy.

Tires - i expect, if you get the sports, which comes with 35/40 tires, you will spend at least 500-700 per pair , every... hmmm... 35k-45k miles.

4) you "can", it's hard though if you havent done this before; bc you have to go under the car, take out 2 layers of covers from underneath (still you dont have to take off bumper), then if you have normal arms, you can reach towards the 2 round fog/DRL grilles from inside the bumper and take the grille+lights out - while on the front of bumper you will have a Flat screwdriver stuck IN to push down on the grilles' hook tabs that are biting on the bumper (again, if you have a choice of getting P2 for the LED, do it instead of trying to switch the round lights out, believe me, read on...). Though you HAVE to splice the original DRL wires and solder the correct LED DRL plug in these wires so you can insert this new plug into the new LED DRL properly (round light DRL and LED DRL have diff plugs); the correct LED DRL plug, grille, LED lights screws, the rubber grommets... for both sides will run you about $500-$600 total, online ordering. ( i have all the part numbers, PM me if you need those) This replacement process may take... 4-6 hrs, AND that's not the END....

After you put all that back in, with the DRL setting set to ON, when you start the car, the now LED DRL will lightup for 2 seconds, AND the the Computer WILL complain that DRL Left and Right need attention, then they will then go OFF. If you turn the car off, and turn it ON again, this process will repeat... LED DRL will be ON for 2 seconds, and Computer will turn them off and complain (thought the fog lights dont complain about being out, weirdly every now and then *months*, it will complain about FOG lights out, u just click OK and that will go away). The only 2 ways that i know how to fix this so the LED DRL will stay on:

a. (not recommended) resistor at the plug of the LED DRL that you just put in, that will trick the Comp to think the LED DRL has a higher resistance like the old bulbs. But resistor do have loads and heat, and if they turn bad, you will have to go through the above process to get to it again for replacement.

b. get the car to a Euro car performance place ( sry, houston MB dealers dont do this, i checked; maybe other states?); if the Euro Perf place has the up-to-date STAR diag, and the ppl know how to program it correctly, they can then program the car to acknowledge the now LED DRL and not complain....

it's a nice , solid and reputable fun car, go test drive one and see ( i was sold immediately after i test drove one)!

If you are in houston, let me know, i can point you to the right dealer that will take good care of you in getting one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.