#1 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Jump Starting a 2010 E350

I left my dome light on and the battery is completely dead. What's the best way to jump start a 2010 E350 - looking for a quick answer. Should I get one of those portable battery jumper devices? Anthing in particular I should know? I can't find the battery, but I see they have a big Positive connector on the Passenger side, in the engine compartment.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm surprised MB didn't install a low batter cutoff or a timer on the inside lights. The Radio shuts off after so many minutes, even with the key in it. But the reading lights can apparently stay on until the car has no juice at all. Odd...
#3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt14 View Post
I'm surprised MB didn't install a low batter cutoff or a timer on the inside lights. The Radio shuts off after so many minutes, even with the key in it. But the reading lights can apparently stay on until the car has no juice at all. Odd...
I have not tested but the lights really should go off automatically after some 20 minutes or so, on all modern MBs. Parking lights may be another issue, because of safety.

You (the OP) can use and should use the engine compartment jump start poles. I would not use a portable jump start battery, it may not even work for a completely flat battery. But if you use another car, be sure to have both off when connecting the jump start cables and triple-check the polarity. Connect your car first, then the supplying car. Then start the supplying car and let it run for a while. I'd switch the other car off again when trying to start but if the battery does not have enough power, you can start while the other car is running.

Once you get it up, let both run a while. Switch both off before disconnecting cables. Sounds like too much to worry about but this way you can be sure you do not blow one of the SAMs.

Perhaps the battery did not run flat from the dome light, a few owners have reported about a flat battery from an unknown reason.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
In all likelyhood, it has nothing to do with what you did. Everything should shut down and even if you leave that light on , it should not drain your battery. My battery died when I had left nothing on . Take it to the dealer and have them check and diagnose what happened. I was told its a known issue. I had it happen to me when car had 900 miles. Luckily it has not happened since then.

Check this earlier post. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w212...d-battery.html
#5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks! I'm going to try to start it off a starter batter in a few minutes. I did have battery problems on my ML (diesel with two batteries) that was due to a bad battery when manufactured. I believe I've left the dome light on for more than an hour (without keys in the ignition and the doors locked) in the past though. I can't find anything in the manual about that though. Seems like with all the other gadgets, MB would certainly have an auto shut-off on ancillery lights, or a "save the batter" mode when the voltage drops below a prescribed level. I recall my ML would not operate certain accessories (radio?) until the batter recharged enough.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
One of those batter starter box did the charm - worked like a dream. As soon as I turned on the starter box the lights came on, all accessories and it started as if it had a fresh battery. The car was easy to restart after 30 minutes of driving. I'll keep the starter batter box in the car for a while until I get a chance to go to the dealer.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:30 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt14 View Post
One of those batter starter box did the charm - worked like a dream. As soon as I turned on the starter box the lights came on, all accessories and it started as if it had a fresh battery. The car was easy to restart after 30 minutes of driving. I'll keep the starter batter box in the car for a while until I get a chance to go to the dealer.
which starter box did you use?
#8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyjw88 View Post
which starter box did you use?
You'll find this humorous - I bought it at Costco. It's a PSx by PowerStation - i.e. a no-name brand I'm sure. We were heading out to Costco when we found the battery was dead, so we took the other car...one that is way too small for a Costco run and I grabbed this starterbox while I was there. For $69, it's not bad. It also has a pump.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2010 E350 Artic White
This is somewhat related....but I read on a BMW forum last year that it apparently is a big deal to replace a battery on a 5 series---some type of dealer special eqpt needs to be utilized when battery is replaced on BMW.......anyone know about replacing battery on W212? If it is a dealership only deal or can we swap battery out at home? Thanks

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W212 E-Class