Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Attention Assist - Night View Assist

10K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  majbjd 
#1 · (Edited)
What is your experience with Attention Assist and/or Night View Assist? How effective are they? What is your spouse's experience (especially any differences)? (In your reply, please make clear which feature you are talking about.)

Is Attention Assist too sensitive (giving "false positive" alarms in ordinary driving maneuvers or when you feel you are sufficiently alert)? Is it not sensitive enough?

Especially, does switching between monitoring the Night View Assist screen and viewing the road ahead through the windshield increase driver work load too much?

P.S.: when I wrote this, I was unaware of similar threads about these features in other BenzWorld forums. My questions still stand. The replies do not say much about Attention Assist. Also, I have seen (poor) illustrations that seem to show that the position of the Night View Assist monitor is not the same in the E-Class as it is in the S-Class. Please indicate whether you are describing Night View in the E-Class or in the S-Class.

#3 ·
E350 4matic with all options installed
Attention Assist: Never had the coffee cup come up. Could be due to the fact that I live in Seattle and have a cup of Joe every 5 minutes.
Lane Assist: Steering wheel vibrates very softly while getting closer to the white lines on the road. Doesn't really do much for me. Depending on the lanes on the road, it works about 70-75% of the time.
Blind Spot Assist: Driving mostly in and out of HOV lanes due to carpooling on my way into work and back home. (80 miles RT each day). I found this to be an accurate and very helpful feature and starting to pretty much rely on it every day. Has worked a 100 % of the time up to this point and is very accurate.
Distronic Plus: Was very uneasy to let go of the controls, but after 2 month of ownership and 3000 miles use it as much as I can. Has made the drive much more relaxing. Has worked accurate as well.
Pre safe Brake: This feature has worked 3x over the past 3 month where a person cut me off. The car actually put on the brakes without my intervention. Not sure if without it I would have been able to act as quickly.
Had maybe a couple of false alarms while driving into a turn lane as to where the alarm went of due to the stopped cars that were in the lane to go straight. Having that said, even with that found it to be very responsive and better safe then sorry with the few false notifications I experienced
Night View Assist: Nice feature to have on country roads where the lighting is either bad or not existing. Works very well and it does actually makes you aware of pedestrians. If you live in the city you most likely will never use it but it becomes more an expensive show and tell feature.
Having used it on various occasions I found it not to be distractive on my driving.

#7 ·
Ok for those picking every word apart in the write up, I do still have to keep my eyes open and be awake when I drive and believe it or not I do have to check my mirrors when changing lanes. We are not there yet but at least close before we can just sit in the back and read the newspaper driving into work.
As for nightvision when it rains it does become blurry and the windshield wiper is visibile during each cycle.

#11 ·
You are correct. At least in my 550 the coffee cup is always displayed because I always have mine in the activated mode or setting. I have only had the system activate once, necessarily so. It seems to be a pretty good system that is not too intrusive. I have tried numerous times to fool it for fun and have not been able to do so!

#10 ·
Regarding to Attention Assist, last year I drove from Arizona to Pennsylvania and back its about 4500 miles. I always thought the Attention Assist was B.S. But it actually worked, after all day of driving when i got tired and very sleepy, it kept beeping and telling me to take a rest, which I did.
Attention Assist worked 4 times on this trip and I was very sleepy, ended up resting at the nearest hotel. It worked for me.

#12 ·
Attention Assist: Works as advertised. My wife was driving the E350 and was tired. I mentioned it and got swiftly rebuffed, but then the CAR mentioned it and she decided then that she was tired after all ... I wonder if it can end other arguments too?
Night View Assist: Neat toy, but I've only used it once after a power outage at night (no street lights) and it did find a pedestrian farther away than I did. Not sure the longterm usage ...

#13 ·
Attention Assist

We recently purchased a CPO 2011 E350 with the Attention Assist feature. Has anyone experienced the alert going off while driving in very windy conditions? During a couple of hours of driving on the interstate in such conditions yesterday, the alert went off 3 different times. Best I and my wife could tell, I was very alert.

#14 ·
Drove 200 miles on I20 on Wed. with very high winds and got the alert twice. Once for no reason I could tell. Second time I had just glanced down to turn on the AC. Looking down at the climate controls seems to set it off a lot. Looking out to the side will also do it but it takes a longer look to get it to activate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.