#1 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Smell of gasoline from rear left wheel arch

I have a 2005 E55 and have noticed that after driving the vehicle I can detect a gasoline smell from around the area of the left rear wheel arch (drivers side - opposite the gas tank filler). There is no trace of gasoline pooling under my car after it has been sitting overnight or even for days. Anyone else experienced this type of thing? Obviously I'm concerned that there is a safety issue and plan to take it to the shop to be investigated but I thought I would post just to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
I had this problem on my e55. Pull the bottom of the back seat and you will find your leak. My had a crack on the pump lid.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
There is a TSB for this. Get it to the dealer ASAP.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2005 E55 AMG - sold, E320 Bluetec, Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild View Post
I have a 2005 E55 and have noticed that after driving the vehicle I can detect a gasoline smell from around the area of the left rear wheel arch (drivers side - opposite the gas tank filler). There is no trace of gasoline pooling under my car after it has been sitting overnight or even for days. Anyone else experienced this type of thing? Obviously I'm concerned that there is a safety issue and plan to take it to the shop to be investigated but I thought I would post just to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Cheers
Hello Warchild,

I've got the same car with a similar problem. This past weekend I pulled the rear seat cushion and accessed the gas tank from the openings thus exposed. There is a round access plate on each side of the car. Photo attached of the drivers side access hole. That is gasoline pooled at the bottom (6 o'clock position). Some E55 owners report gas leaking from the black supply hose where it connects to the nipple at the center. Mine's not leaking there. The round piece at the 3:30 position with the wires connected seems to show evidence of leakage.

I've also attached a copy of (someone else's) MB Recall Campaign Letter which addresses this issue.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

/david
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AMGGASLEAK.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	292352  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AMG2008020001.pdf (59.2 KB, 536 views)
#5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2010
Fuel Leaking

Thank you for posting this information! I seem to have the exact same problem, but with my 05 CLK. Unfortunately mine is not covered under this TSB. I'm on the hook for $1500.00.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 2005 E55 AMG - sold, E320 Bluetec, Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruisedlee72 View Post
Thank you for posting this information! I seem to have the exact same problem, but with my 05 CLK. Unfortunately mine is not covered under this TSB. I'm on the hook for $1500.00.
Hello Bruce,

Remind your service adviser that this is the SAME ISSUE addressed in the RECALL campaign notice I've attached to my post above. Remember, a recall is different from a TSB. Recalls are in effect regardless of which owner you are and the age of the vehicle. Car manufacturers don't like recalls. Depending upon your relationship with your dealer and/or Service Adviser, you might press the issue of some goodwill coverage of parts and/or labor. This is essentially a LEAKING GAS TANK and that can lead to very negative press for MB if something bad (i.e., KABOOM!!) happened. Say something to your SA like "let's be reasonable...you can fix it quietly now or I can come back later with a RECALL notice and you can fix it then" or some variation thereof. Shouldn't MB be able to built a car that's NOT prone to having fuel tank leaks?

In my case the recall work had been performed just over a year ago. I've owned my car for 4 months and it was leaking from the fuel sender. When all was said/done, my dealer picked up half the cost of the new sender which worked out to half of an $850 job.

Good luck.

/david
#7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2009
I own a 2004 E55. I had the repair to the fuel sending unit (under warranty) completed in July of 09 and again in September of 09. The dealer replaced the gasket of the sending unit only. The fuel leak reappeared this month and I brought it in. This time my vehicle was out of warranty. Of course they replaced the sending unit, gasket and some other minor parts. I was charged $100 as a "good willl gesture". Mercedes is failing to take responsibility of a potentially hazardous defect engineered by them! Someone is going to get hurt and now there is a huge paper trail that convicts Mercedes of gross negligence. No subsequent remedial measures here. They're on notice!
#8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2010
Just a follow up on my 05 CLK....

My local MB Service paid for the fuel leak fix as a 'goodwill' gesture. They saved me $1500.00 after some arguing and calls to Corporate MB, who actually called me back to open a 'case number', and contacted the Manager of my local Service Department. It does pay to argue. And especially in the case of MB NEVER, EVER accept what your service department says and question everything that they 'recommend'.

I wanted to thank you guys out there for the great information and for keeping everyone informed!
#9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
E63 same issue

Glad I just read this post. I called the dealer today and asked them about gasoline smell in drivers side well and they said no knowledge of common issue. Taking it in tomorrow!
#10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Seems there is quite a heated debate on this topic over on the MBworld forum.

Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs. - MBWorld.org Forums

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W211 E55 AMG, E63 AMG