#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 07:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Clear bras???

Any comments on clear bras, like Xpel, Stongard or Invicta-shield? How much? Where to get it done?

My old S55 was pockmarked on the bumper and the hood. I wonder if the new ceramic coating would help eliminate that.

Raymond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 08:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
RE: Clear bras???

Raymond,

The ceramic paint is certainly far superior in terms of protection. After 12 months and 13000+ miles, I have only THREE small chips/pocks... none of which are on the bumper. They are on the hood, near the center. I think the windshield has more pocks than the paint does. I had wondered why the E55 resisted chips so well, while the other cars I drive do not. Last week I discovered I did in fact have the ceramic paint... which explained my curiosity.

I am located in L.A., so there's nothing but dirty, crowded, debris-strewn roadways as far as the eye can see, and to only have the few chips that I do is just amazing.

As far as the clear bras, I've heard mixed reviews at best. Some of them will start to "yellow" after a few years, and they need to be experly applied otherwise they look terrible. But on the other hand, supposedly they require no additional care. You can wash and wax right over them just like you would with bare paint. The piece set for the clear bras can generally cost anywhere from several hundred dollars on up, plus installation if you do not do it yourself. If you go to a place that sells/installs these things, you can probably see a few cars that have this clear bra applied already, and ask all the questions you need to.

I would recommend against it, simply because the ceramic paint is resistant enough to negate the need for a bra of any kind. But as always, the choice is completely up to you.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 08:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe

Yes, the 3M Invisibra is great. It was applied prior to accepting delivery of my last new vehicle and will be on all future vehicles.

There is no extra maintenance required, unlike a regular bra.

Mine cost about $800.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 11:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Das.

I'm still thinking about it. Like you, I've been hearing different stories and experiences about the clear bra. I just hated it when my S55 was already peppered with rock chips in only 22k miles. It's not like a go off-roading.

Raymond

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W211 E55 AMG, E63 AMG