Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Front Air Strut Rebuild

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sleeper Benz 
#1 ·
Isnt there anyway to do a DYI rebuild on a front air strut for w211? From what I found, the most common problems are a faulty solenoid (rare), worn out bladder (very common), or worn seals (common). Has anyone have any luck rebuilding the front spring. I know I can buy a re-manufactured Arnott for $400 with lifetime warranty, but it is basically the same thing that they due which is reseal and/or change the bladder which should not be that expensive, (the strut portion is untouched just cleaned). I know some of us would like to see if its possible to rebuild it ourselves and save a few hundred dollars. Any takers?

#3 ·
There is a company in Florida (selling on eBay) that will rebuild your strut on the 4-Matics with code 489 suspension or they sell rebuilt units with a core charge for the non-489 suspensions. You would have to compare their prices and warranties with Arnott, Bilstein etc.

I was lucky and found a used 4-Matic code 489 airstrut unit on Craigs list for $200. No warranty though, but it got me back on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.