Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Brake paste

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
Time for new front pads & rotors on my '06 CDI. Yep, I do know to disable SBC before digging in. WIS is specific that brake paste, 001-989-94-51-12, be used on this model. I don't have a problem including that with my order but I would like to know what quantity this p/n contains; anybody have a clue? It's $13.31 from my dealer of choice but I'm hoping that the quantity is greater than the 2.5ml packs I have for my S124. If not I might be tempted to use the 124 stuff.

I guess as long as I'm on the subject of brakes I should ask if anyone wants to make an argument for other than dealer pads &/or rotors..

#3 ·
For last 10 years I am putting brake pads without any lube or silencers.
Also for the 10 years the only pads I am using are Akebonos.
Clean installation and everything works with no noise.
Fact is that the only car who had minimal noise at low speed was the one with SBC, but it was so minimal, that I decided to live with it.

#6 ·
WIS is specific that brake paste, 001-989-94-51-12, be used on this model. I don't have a problem including that with my order but I would like to know what quantity this p/n contains; anybody have a clue? It's $13.31 from my dealer of choice but I'm hoping that the quantity is greater than the 2.5ml packs I have for my S124.
Mercedes online vendors don't have very good description for their parts.
@13.31, sounds like you placed an order with MB Direct Parts.

When I need more information or confirmation I am looking at the correct part, I just Google the part number. RM European shows 001-989-94-51-12 is the 3.5 oz tube.

- Parts Search

#8 ·
Just want to confirm that you are indeed correct. The above referenced p/n with the -12 on the end is indeed the 3.5 oz tube, roughly the size of a medium small tube of toothpaste. For my purposes it should amount to much more than a lifetime supply, but given the cost at $13 and change I consider it a very worthwhile purchase rather than having to keep track of those little single use packets.

There is no indication on the tube that I got from the dealer that it's manufactured by Febi Bilstein as is the lower cost item listed at RM though. Mine is in pure MB packaging. No clue as to how the two compare.

#10 ·
Most of the time I use the CRC synthetic on all the cars. The stuff lasts for years. Cars that come back for new brakes 3-5 years later still have the grease on the parts it was put on like the backing plates.

On track cars I use the Permatex Extreme ceramic which has a much higher temp rating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.