Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Breaking noise when driving and zero power since

939 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  BENZIN 
#1 ·
I'm experiencing a problem with my car, it seems that an axle is broken, I was driving and suddenly I heard a broken noise below the car with something hitting (with regularity) just below the central console, the engine was still running but no power at all ?

After stopped the car I noticed that the engine light was on and verified directly: it was an O2 sensor in bank 1, I presume it's the axle that by being broken disconneted the sensor.

I'd like to know if someone has an idea of the axle in cause and giving such a behavior to the car ?

The gearbox level reacts normally but the hitting comes again when in drive position (no power)
Do you think it's the central axle ? (front to rear)
I don't understand how the car behaves when an axle is broken on a 4Matic

Btw I heard a kind of whistle for some time and thought it was the joint of this axle, does it make sense to you if broken ?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like it's time for a look-see. Based on your description it could be that the front or rear driveshaft is no longer coupled to the transmission/transfer case. Flex joints may have broken. I'd say it's not a good time to put the car in gear until you figure out what's broken.

How many Km's on the car?

Skippy

#3 ·
Thank you SkippyJasper, the car isn't at home for now, I'm wondering and asking some advices to gain some time and get an idea of the part causing the trouble and the global cost... I just made a test to know if the noise was present when the car wasn't running, but with the O2 sensor broken I could destroy both catalyzors, don't need that now as you understand. The car has 250.000 km's
I think that it's probably the axle from the gearbox to the front differential, this axle is very close of the O2 sensor.

A reference and some idea of the work to replace it would be nice, thanks to all.
Engine Auto part Transmission part Differential Vehicle

Vehicle Sports equipment Wheel Skateboard

#7 ·
The rebuilding of driveshaft is unknow here (and in Europe I think) maybe some good mechanics do that but for some very specific uses (racing), I thought to buy a driveshaft with removable universal joint but found them only in the US...
So I bought a new one from the only one Germany seller I found (~ $500) There's not even one second hand driveshaft on eBay here, unfortunate.

#12 ·
I can't imagine there that much difference between the 211 and the 210 for this drive train set up. On my 2001 210 wagon, the universal joint (not a flex disc) seized and bent the yoke at the front of part number two on the picture posted above. I think I paid around $900 US to have the short drive shaft and the two front axles (only because of the car's age and the torn boots etc.) replaced. They told me about Autozone's inexpensive axles but they didn't trust them. I don't know where they sourced the parts but they were Chinese.

Edit: Just found the invoice

$150: Labor replace 2 front drive shafts
$365: 1 used drive shaft (the small one with the exploded u joint)
$225: Labor replace 2 front CV axles
$150: 2 Front CV axles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.