Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Flashing Xenons & Weird Electrics W211 E320 CDI 2003

463 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  vvrjrlaw 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 w211 with xenons that I just bought second hand.

After getting it home without problems the next day the battery was flat and so had to be jump started.

It started and then showed errors on the dash, all of which I have been able to reset using advice from this forum except a brake light error and weirdly the xenons were flashing together with various dashboard light like the hazard warning triangle for example!

I drove it around and charged up the battery hoping it was just a low charge issue but the next morning it was flat again :(

I changed the battery for a new one but it still doesn't hold a charge plus the left hand xenon stays on all the time even when everything is switched off!

I just left it two days charging like that but it is still the same and the battery charge level is not increasing.

I have read as much on here as I can find and am now thinking it may be the front sam at fault due to the jump start...

I don't have a lot of cash (unemployed) and so would hate to buy a sam off ebay and find it didn't work if the answer is something else.

PLEASE HELP ;)

Any advice would be very gratefully received

Bob

See less See more
#4 ·
You need to unplug the xenon that is stayimg on. If it then holds a charge you know that the problem could be a relay or the Sam. You could start with removing the negative terminal overnight and see if it starts. If so then unplug the xenon that is on all the time and leave the battery on overnight. Check in morning if it starts then it's not a short it's a communication issue. And jumping a Mercedes is the worst thing you can do with the electronics it carries. Most people don't know how to jump one and they damage or screwup the electronics and it takes a scanner to clear them. My wife actually had her 01 ML jump started and now I have to reset the SRS light because it's on and it wasn't before the jumpstart. If you must jump the battery do it with the jumping car motor turned OFF. Then connect the positive to positive first and then the negative. Or use a battery pack. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.