Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Trans Conductor Plate? Need Help!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  isthisit 
#1 ·
I’ve been told by my indy shop the conductor plate needs to be replaced (P2768/P2767). As a courtesy, he warned me that up to 50% of the time after the conductor plate has been replaced the transmission continues with other issues which weren’t diagnosed and could lead to needing a rebuilt or used transmission install. He just asked me to keep that in mind given the age of the car and mileage (165k). It's the 5-speed trans.

Has anyone had the conductor plate changed and the trans problems continue like he said? Just want to know my risks before "investing" into the $1,100 repair.

Thanks in advance! - GREG

#2 ·
I will literally be doing this tomorrow. it doesn't look too bad as long as you have some basic tools. You'll need a torque wrench, transmission oil level dipstick and transmission fluid.
This is a good video: (you don't need to remove the transmission. you just need to get under the car.)
I got my parts from them as well: the conductor plate, connector,fluid, dipstick and the gasket. I'll let you know how my experience goes.

#3 · (Edited)
That's some BS...replace the conductor plate, have him do a FULL ATF change not just a pan drop and continue driving it. Fluid should not ne black.

50% if he's screwing 50% of them up, yes!

What are your symptoms? Was it running fine up until the problem? If so, don't worry about it.

#4 ·
The 722.6 5 speed transmission is probably the best and strongest trans MB built. It's virtually bullet proof with just the conductor plate, and the seals on 13 pin connector as the weak point. It was used in the CLS55AMG which is putting out 469 hp while the CLS 500 uses the weaker 7 speed. It's a workhorse and I don't understand the point your indie is trying to make unless he was looking to get you a rebuilt transmission. Put the conductor plate in, the job is time consuming but easy, change the 13 pin connector, new filter and gasket and after verifying the fluid level go enjoy your ride.

#5 ·
It was easy.
I had access to a lift and the job takes less then 1 hour. it's a bit messy but totally doable. It would be more painful if you have to crawl under the car on jacks to do it. If you do i recommend a second pair of hands.
If you are thinking about doing it yourself let me know and i'll give you some links and tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.