Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sudden severe vibration-the Death Wobble

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jimbo1763 
#1 ·
My car suffered a severe and sudden vibration at about 65 MPH on a trip recently. The condition of the roadway was fine. I had to pull over to the side very quickly. I did not turn off the engine, got out and inspected tires, etc and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I got underway again, and no more problem.

Threads I have read call this the Death Wobble and say that it is harmonic vibration. I am taking the car in to my dealer to have it checked, but I always get better service if I have some idea of what to have them look at before I go in.

From what I have read, the usual suspects are tie rods, a bad wheel bearing, or a bad steering oscillation damper (I think that is what it was called).

I don't think it could be a thrown wheel weight or something like that, or the vibration would have recurred.

So, looking for advice from y'all. What else might it be?

Motor mounts and transmission mounts are new-a few months old. Tires are relatively new, and I had 4-wheel alignment and balancing from the dealer when I got them a few months ago.

I am on the road and at highway speeds a lot, so I am anxious to get this one resolved. My 2007 E350 has about 175k miles on it now, and except for this latest hiccup runs and rides great.

Would be grateful for thoughts.

Jim

See less See more
#3 ·
Took the car into the dealer. Of course, the dealer was unable to replicate the issue. However, the mechanic noted the car "wandering all over the place"-it does, I have noticed that. He checked shocks and struts and says they are in dire need of replacement, and that such could cause the vibration I described. I actually had that on my list of things to get done, so I have okayed the work, along with realignment, etc. Should be ready Friday, and I will report.

At 175,000 miles, I guess they were due.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.