Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Upper control arm - alignment necessary?

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ps2cho 
#1 · (Edited)
Is it going to be necessary to get the car realigned from changing the upper control arm?
I believe the ball joint is worn as I am getting a popping noise when the weight shifts onto it. I already replaced the lower arms, lower ball joint and sway bar link a year ago. Car has 123k on it and its original.

I looked at the actual bushing and it does not look worn at all, I just believe the BJ is done for.
-- Is there any possibility a popping noise could be the tie rod?

#5 ·
What I'll do is measure with string the instance on the tread before and after, front and rear on the tire. If it changes anything more than a hair I'll get it aligned.

#6 ·
Completed the arm swap today. The OE arm bushings were in perfect condition with no signs of any cracking at all. The balljoint did not seem to have any play, but it was quite loose in the socket and could be turned without much effort...
I checked the toe with my plates after the swap and did not see any change, nor did the test drive indicate any pulling either.

I believe since the rubber on the stock arms were not worn, there was to be no change in any angles!

The quick drive did not make the popping noise I was experiencing, but I will monitor over the next few days to be 100% sure its resolved!

#7 ·
Do you guys think this is OK and its not going to wreck my tires?
Drove 70 miles today and no signs of the popping, car tracks straight and no indication anything is off.

I still want to be sure for peace of mind, but I'd rather not spend $120 for an unnecessary alignment.

rear of the tire

front of the tire

so if I am correct, that shows 1/32" total toe in?

#8 ·
well nevermind noise came back...

I think I will disconnect the sway bar links and drive around and see if I can at least eliminate the sway bar bushings.

If its not the sway bar bushings, its either shocks/struts or the tie rods/steering rack.

#9 ·
I am having the same exact problem as you except I have a w210, same problem, same location.

You say you don't want to spend the money on than alignment if you don't need it, but then why are you just buying parts if you don't know where the problems is originating from? That's more expensive than an alignment right? Have you had the front suspension inspected? Sometimes getting someone else's opinion may help you track down the problem, instead of just buying unnecessary parts.

I don't know if you need an alignment but I would be interested to hear the outcome. Update the post and let us know if you are able to fix your problem because it most likely will help me and others as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.