Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W211 Hitch on Diesel

6K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  cvincent 
#1 ·
So this car has approx 400lbs of torque and you can only get class 1 hitch? Is this correct? Any other options other than the one from Curt?

#2 · (Edited)
Pulled 1000 lb trailer fro 560 miles, still averaging 24 mpg.
BT pulls the trailer on flat, pulls the trailer on grades and even slightly accelerate (on grades) never dropping out of 7th gear.
Than push the pedal 1/2 way down for the beast show its attitude.
IS THERE A TRAILER BEHIND ME ????
I had the hitch on W211 wagon and it fits the same bumper mounts on sedan.

#3 · (Edited)
Kajtek, do you have Curt hitch?
Looking at parts catalog, MB has a solid hitch option but it's not available in N.America for some unknown reason to me.

#4 ·
Yes, it is Curt.
I remember lot of confusion with those hitches, especially that I bought it originally for wagon.
Even wanted to buy one of those motorized hitches, that hides under the bumper with push of the button, but shipping from Poland turn out too difficult.
I took my chance when somebody was selling E55 hitch on ebay and it fits both sedans and wagons the same.
Tried to take picture of model# but even with phone camera slide there it did not come too well.

Attachments

#6 ·
Looks like Part #11701.
Class 1 Hitch Mercedes-Benz E Class
Receiver size 1-1/4"
Capacity 2,500 lbs.
CURT MANUFACTURING

Looks good Kajtek! Love that L. plate. He he. Do you know what class is the euro MB hitch?

#8 ·
I had several pictures of W210 pulling trailers in excess of 3 tons.
Obviously in Europe.
Part #11701 looks right as W211 is pretty unique having rounded bumper mounts.
The heavy European hitches have extended frame that goes inside subframe, but with the light Curt I had our BT pretty loaded in trunk and the trailer and it did not squat bad at all.
Sure air suspension would be beneficial for such set, but we are not talking about hauling bricks for new garage, do we?

#10 ·
BTW trailer wiring is tricky.
I used amplified converter that takes main power from rear power plug.
That worked well on W210 and 2004 W211.
Turn out 2008 E operates tail lights on 6V and that was not enough to activate the converter.
Some thinking made me turning fog lights and that option gave 12V to tail lights, so now when I want lights on trailer, I have to remember to turn fogs on.

#12 ·
Sounds like wiring harness from Curt has to be for w211 class as my old W210 curt (model#56146) won't work. I confirmed that with curt tech support.

#13 ·
Don't know what Curt is selling, but per my research US E-models don't have trailer plug.
If you happen to have one, it still takes SD programming to activate it.
We had a topic by European member about it.
Bottom line, I have been using those $15 converters for decades and beside need for fog lights on 2008 model, it always worked just fine.

#15 ·
Got it in. I had to drop the mufflers few inches by undoing two 13mm screws on each side to get the hitch on. To drill the holes on the side ( see pictures) I ended up raising mufflers somewhat. I managed to brake one of the plastic bottom bumper spacer. :/

Attachments

#17 ·
uhaul.com/pubshandler.ashx?id=3782&digest=N7tVrL9XrS4DiWWt3M8zdQ
Here is Uhaul hitch and mine is the same design. You have to copy/download the link as hotlinking got corrupted by forum.
The only thing I had to take off was one of the lower bumper support >> 2 screws

#18 ·
That's the same one I have. Your installation instructions still show side mount where you have to drill through the chashis.its labeled as #2 and 3 and 1.

#21 ·
Kajtek, without that side mount, I wouldn't be surprised if one day while you're hauling heavy cargo, your hitch to slide off its support mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.