Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My car is possessed? Help!

756 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  PSDCamperVan 
#1 · (Edited)
My wifes car 2003 E320 W211

She was driving about a week back and check engine light came one. I checked with scanner and it coded for o2 sensors. The sensors all 4 are new about 1 year ago. I wasnt able to start troubleshooting because of work and now A few days later the SRS light came on as well. Than today while she was driving the blinkers stopped working and the temperature gauge also stopped (but rest of panel worked.). At the same time on her way home the car started flashing to "stop and stop engine because of low coolant". When she arrived home i checked the car and the coolant was fine and the car did not seem to be overheating. When she shut car off the screen stayed on and the warning of low coolant and to stop engine stayed on still AFTER the car was off??

I figured maybe something was acting goofy so i decided to disconnect the battery to hopefully reset everything. I reconnected and started back up and now the whole dashboard does not work!! Nothing!!! I checked every fuse under the hood, in trunk and on side of steering wheel. The car seems to be running fine and engine sounds fine. There is no leaks ect. Obviously this seems electrical. Anyone ever experience this?? What should i check next?

On the OBD scanner i also got a pending p0600 code.

Would the battery or aux battery be connected??

I forgot to add when i start the car now also. The front lights stay on very dim even with light switched off?? So now somehow i have daytime running lights i never had before lol

Thank you for any help

See less See more
#2 ·
Low voltage can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues. I suggest checking your battery to see if it's OK. After that, have the alternator tested There is a voltage readout in the FSS on my 06, but if your dash is out that wouldn't help if you have one. I'm mostly guessing but with any electrical issue it pays to start by checking the battery then alternator.

#4 ·
aux battery does not power anything unless there is emergency.
What is the mileage on alternator brushes?
Since you can display car voltage on the cluster, I would advise to observe it during driving as intermittent voltage spikes can be hard to troubleshoot.

#5 ·
I was not aware that you can see this voltage on the dash?? how do I go to it in settings??

Update the car dash now works. The srs light is still on and now says srs malfunction, visit workshop and radio does not work, but did work yesterday! lol

Any ideas?? Is this common for battery? Going to test that next. Can srs be reset?

#6 ·
SRS has several sensors.
If the seat sensor malfunction and was fixed, the light will reset itself at next self-check (engine start).
The airbag errors need to be reset by SD scanner.
From my memory voltage will display once you switch ignition to position 1 and hit reset button about 3 times. It will stay after engine start as well unless you scroll to other functions.

#8 ·
My volt meter does not go on doing what you said. Not sure why. Anyway, front aux battery tested at 12.8 and main battery around 12. After car was started the back battery was around 14 and front as well. I am assuming this means alternator is ok. SRS light is on, check engine light is on and 3 codes. 2 of the codes are o2 sensors(which I replaced all 1 year ago) and the other code is p0600. The radio does not work, and things come and go. I noticed my key is broken by the panic button. Is there any chance a faulty key would cause this?? Otherwise cars drives fine but I need to figure it out because my inspection is due soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.