Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Red STOP Brake + CEL + ABS + limp home etc. w/replaced SBC module

731 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  shertex 
#1 ·
2005 E320 CDI. Got the SBC control module replaced under warranty in 2009 at 60,000 miles. Car now has 160,000 miles.

Got the Red STOP sign with (almost total) loss of braking power, plus limp-home mode. Took it to my indy mechanic who has all MB computer stuff; lots of codes but nothing to definitively point to SBC control module failure. He's commuted with it for about a week and a half and no failures, no codes, nothing.

What is my best option:

1. Replace SBC for $1,800 and hope that was the problem.
2. Take to MB dealer to see if they can find something that my indy can't.
3. Consider it a fluke and do nothing.
4. Something else.

Wife drives the car on the highway a lot so taking a chance on another failure is not an option.

#3 · (Edited)
A failure like this can make one lose all confidence in driving one of these. The only thing that restored my confidence in this vehicle was arrival of a STAR system that I bought from China for $300. Best $300 I ever spent. I live in Florida but wouldn't hesitate to drive to California & back as long as STAR is along for the ride. JMHO. :angel

#4 ·
That is a bit disconcerting...will be interested to see how this gets resolved.

Hoping to make it well past 200k before dealing with SBC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.