Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help with headlight socket retaining clip

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 e500. I started replacing my hid bulb on the passenger side, but for the life of me I can't get the wire retaining clip to secure the bulb to the socket. The clip fell out when I removed the old bulb, so I'm not exactly sure how it hooks back in. Can anyone help me with some detailed advice or photo/diagram or something? Thanks!

#3 ·
I haven't done this before, but one way to get an idea is to open the driver's side and see how the retaining clip attaches. To give yourself some room, unscrew the coolant reservoir and just move it slightly out of the way. You're not going to disconnect any coolant hoses, once you lift that screw from female retainer, just tilt the reservoir and remove headlight assembly cap to access the inside. You may need another set of hands to do this one.

Also look for youtube, there maybe videos there.

Reactions: Noodles
#6 · (Edited)
Are you talking about the metal retaining clip that looks like a long bent paperclip?

If so here is a picture on how it should look in the projector.

The picture is upside down but if you are looking at it in the headlight that is how the projector looks from the rear. The retaining clips click in at the bottom. the top part has two dog ear type pieces of metal that you have to bend, insert the retaining clip, then bend back out to prevent the retaining clip from coming out. This is a very common and super simple to fix.

You might have more trouble since you can't take the headlight out and working from under the car... but if you take the front bumper off and remove the headlight, this should be a 2 minute fix in attaching the retaining clip back in.

-Nigel

Attachments

#7 ·
YESSS!!! It is exactly what the problem is. Those little "dog ears" were not bent out far enough to hold the retaining clip in place. Every time I tried to clip the loose ends in place around the bulb, the other end would pop out. Doing this from the top of the car...with extra large hands (I'm 6'5")...in Michigan....during January...in my driveway!!!! Needless to say, cramped and disfigured hands and frozen bloody fingers. Finally got it to stick and was able to bend out the ears with a small pick. Man I hope this HID lasts longer than the car. LOL Thanks for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.