Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2005 E55 AMG Airmatic Rear Suspension Drop

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  PWF369 
#1 ·
Hi all, first post here.

Just bought a 2005 E55 AMG about a year ago and 4 months after I've been having rear suspension problems.

The rear would drop after I start the car and drive out of my driveway. I noticed that when I unlock the doors with my key fob, there is a release of air and after that I switch the engine on and drive out of my driveway, the rear would slowly drop lower and lower. After I drive for a while, shut off the car, then turn it on, I see the rear go up. This happens randomly and often. The rear doesn't drop overnight or even over weeks, only when I either unlock the car or start the car.

I've replaced the rear airbags with Arnotts, replaced the air compressor with Arnotts, replaced the valve block, replaced the control module, replaced the rear level sensor. I've had my indy hook it up to DAS and no codes or anything.

Does anyone have any advice or input?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I would think that since you changed all the components that maybe the calibration is not correct. Or the rear level sensor is not installed right or came loose. When you open the door the pump should come on to put air in, not let air out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
My indy checked all the calibrations.

Everything can be fine for days or weeks without any drop or issues. But there will be that instance where I unlock the car, hear the air release, and as I drive out the driveway, the rear will slowly drop.

And after a while of driving, it'll come back up, or if I shut of the car and start the car enough times, it'll trigger for the air to inflate the rear.

#5 ·
The leaks were checked and no issues.

I do not think it would be a leak problem because the car would be fine and not drop for 2-3 weeks at a time. It would randomly do so after unlocking the door and/or start driving the car.

Can it be a pressure issue where the pressure sensor releases the air when the doors are unlocked? I know it's not supposed to release any air but I've noticed that when it does release air when the doors are unlocked, shortly after driving the rear would drop.

I've also replaced the distributor valve and that wasn't the problem.

#7 ·
What is the thought behind that? Battery doesn't have enough juice to start the pump to maintain pressure?

The front of the car doesn't drop though. The front actually drops when the car is off and I hear it raise when I start the car.

My indy has disconnected the battery multiple times, he hasn't said there was an issue.

#10 ·
I've read that if there was an issue with filling the reservoir, STAR would throw out a code? My indy used STAR to test the pressures and haven't gotten a code. I've already replaced both rear air bags with Arnotts.
I understand that but were rear pressure lines/connections inclusive of reservoir visually inspected and I also understand air springs were replaced with Arnott however, suppose current Arnotts are defective causing intermittent failure. Anyway, your call.

#11 ·
I appreciate all feedback and advice. Just trying to tick off all the stuff that was checked for and if there are any that I haven't that I should be looking for.

My indy has checked for all leaks as he was surprised that after swapping out the rear airbags, I still had the intermittent dropping as it was with the OEM airbags.

I'm stuck on the car releasing air when I unlock the car. Other times the car would drive fine, no air releasing and the heights are all fine for days and sometimes weeks.

Can it be that the reservoir is not maintaining the required pressure after not driving for 2 weeks or so and decides to release the air for whatever reason?

#14 ·
I appreciate all feedback and advice. Just trying to tick off all the stuff that was checked for and if there are any that I haven't that I should be looking for.

My indy has checked for all leaks as he was surprised that after swapping out the rear airbags, I still had the intermittent dropping as it was with the OEM airbags.

I'm stuck on the car releasing air when I unlock the car. Other times the car would drive fine, no air releasing and the heights are all fine for days and sometimes weeks.

Can it be that the reservoir is not maintaining the required pressure after not driving for 2 weeks or so and decides to release the air for whatever reason?
The air release is very common in W211s. Mine will sometimes do that as soon as I either unlock, or open the door. When this happens I can see my front lower very slightly. Other times it will do it when I shut the car off and lock it. When you hear the air hiss, do you see the height drop fully on the rear or there is no change?

#12 ·
Was there ever a solution to this issue? figured I’d bring this one back from the dead I might be having similar issue…

#13 ·
How much is it lowering?

Given all that was replaced, I would verify all the airlines are connected appropriately. Then I would suspect a ride height calibration "issue" or faulty ride height sensor. When the car is unlocked and locked, shortly thereafter airmatic will try to "level" the car if sufficient air pressure is present in the reservoir (if it needs raising) otherwise for lowering its not a prerequisite.

I would check those components first, then I would focus on the valve body and compressor (only because it contains the fill/vent solenoid).

I think when you drive, the rear end wants to squat down and the airmatic will add air. After parking and locking, it's normal for it to release SOME air out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.