Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Airmatic Suspension Filter

17K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Sleeper Benz 
#1 ·
As a maintenance item I decided to change my airmatic suspension filter. I ordered this Mann filter from Amazon, but this is what I got; a fuel filter. Did seller ship me wrong filter? Are fuel and suspension filters the same part?

Amazon's listing shows part # W0133-1891812-MAN, but picture below doesn't show that? Any ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
I finally got a chance to replace the airmatic compressor filter. What I found odd, was the hose sitting on top end of filter doesn't attach to anything, just hooks to a rubber bracket. Could it be an intake hose? The other end of the filter has a hose attaching to the little compressor.

#11 · (Edited)
The inlet hose goes via inner fender and hooks behind front bumper.
Did you also notice the filter is installed backwards in the application and you can't reverse it.
On my car the filtering media shrank and since the filter was backwards, the gap would allow air to bypass the media.
Big design flaw IMHO.
I hope you baked your drier granules Al ?

#12 ·
The filter had an up arrow on it, so I placed it in that upper right position. I changed it as maintenance and prevention precaution. Car is running fine and so I'm assuming compressor is functioning right. Well, with the heat wave we had last week, all those granules got baked real nice;)

#13 ·
I rebuilt my compressor head with new gaskets, filters and silica beads. My old silica was almost black. I am sure road salt made it even worse than the color in the above pictures posted.

My compressor filter was junk at that time. I had the Mann replacement and it fit perfectly with arrow going in the same direction as the original.

Also replaced the compressor relay which is part the MB WIS instructions when a compressor is replaced.

#14 · (Edited)
I had the granules soaked in the middle of last California summer. (extremely dry year)
The design is that they will absorb the moisture from air going in and will dump the moisture when air goes out.
But when you have small leak, like I had there is no air going out and even CA air does have moisture that will accumulate.
I had freeze failure of the system when in Nebraska, so figured out better toast it than be sorry later.
Granules have small pad filters on the end, but not available for purchase.
Piston rebuild kits run for $15
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-S-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

#16 ·
I used the eBay compressor rebuild kit & new granules with good success. I plan to replace the air compressor relay for good measure and found out it's the Green colored Hella 5 blade unit.

Got a few 5503 DTCs stored about lag time too long to fill the main air reservoir after the compressor rebuild, but no longer get them. I assume the new piston ring has set-in and is working well after about a weeks operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.