Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

E320 Tailgate opens when I start the engine

2K views 23 replies 3 participants last post by  je6905 
#1 ·
Hi
I have an E320 wagon 2004 mod. The tailgate can be opened from the inside,
I've got a problem with it. When I start the car, the lock on the tailgate release the tailgate,when the starter is engaged. The tailgate opens a couple of inches. I must open the tailgate completely with the switch in the door, and then go back and close the door with the red button.
Then the tailgate will stay closed until I stop the engine, and starts again.
I do not know where I should start troubleshooting. Does anyone have one suggestion?
Thanks for help

#5 ·
Yes, I tried the second key today, with new batteries.
Same problem.
This morning when I went out to start the car, it's parked on the street, the car was standing there with the tailgate fully open, and it was raining.
I have now tested both batteries, and they were OK.
I removed the tailgate fuse, so ther tailgate don't opens when I turn the key.
I have booked service at the local workshop on tuesday, so I have to wait until then, to get an answer on the tailgate's behavior .

#9 ·
Did he show you where the unit was? That would be good to know. I can look it up, but just unloaded 700 bales of hay and am too sore and lazy at the moment to search the DVD for it.

Some of the MB dealers that sell genuine MB parts online sell the module for about $500 plus shipping.

#13 ·
I hoped I could close the case, but after I got the tailgate repaired, the curtain that can be drawn over the luggage room to prevent anybody to see what is laying there, begun to open and close simultaneously with the tailgate when it is opened and closed.
It didn't do that before I replace the tailgate Control unit. Is the curtain suppose to act together with the tailgate? Is the any way to stop it? I couldn't find any information in the user manual.
Thanks for help.

#14 ·
That is normal operation.

That is why Mercedes calls it a double roller blind in the EPC parts computers. That cover lifts up when opening and slides down when closing. There is a magnetic sensor that knows when it is in the tracks and then it performs as described.
Also there is a screen mesh divider that can be raised to keep cargo in the back or pets. It simply lifts up and hooks into the slots by the C pillars.

#19 ·
konigstiger

Thanks for the scan. My driver manual(paper) only covers the sedan.
I have tried to get a manual that covers the wagon, but with no luck.
I have tried to find one on the internet, but all pdf manuals are the same as my paper one.
They only covers the sedan.

#21 ·
I have the PDF for a 2005 Wagon 4matic. It is a 4.6mb PDF file in English.
PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

One time my daughter closed it manually and so far it did not cause problems.

I would not do it a lot, because I am not sure what effect it would have on the electronics.

Once close pull the fuse again so it does not plague you. If the module is bad which a scan
with the MB star with the module it should show an error for that.

#23 ·
They are not really struts. They are hydraulic and as such need to be powered when the tailgate is moving.

I wish I had more info for you. What you are experiencing is very rare. I am just guessing, but maybe the SAM that controls tailgate is going bad.
Have you had the SAM's tested using the MB star system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.