Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

slight water leak

743 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  greenlaker 
#1 ·
Howdy - I noticed that during the heavy rains we recently had, the rear, driver-side footwell becomes damp from a leak. Note that this does not happen in light rains or when I give the car a bath.

I did a bunch of research here and on other M-B sites regarding sunroof drains. The forward two are clean and water poured from a watering can is on the ground almost immediately. However I can't seem to find any rear drains.

There is no evidence that my car was ever in an accident, so something is has worked its way loose or become clogged.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I get the same problem...Seems in Heavy rains, water comes in from the roof, and deposits in my passage side sunshade, actually in the light!! I have to put a towel to stop it from dripping all over my seat. The car was never in a accident, but I'm wondering if there is a pinhole atop near/around the luggage rack, and it's really nerve "racking" No pun intended!!

#3 ·
Hey @NITO - did you check the two forward sunroof drains? From what I found during my research, it's not uncommon for those to clog up. I should also add that when I pushed a bicycle shifter cable down both of mine, I came across no blockages. Others have used nylon weed whacker line to check.

Thanks for the tip on checking the luggage rack seals, I'll do that.

#4 ·
follow up

Well, thanks to @NITO nearly eleven months ago, my wagon has remained dry. I noticed a small gap in the seal on the upright on the middle of the rack rail last March:

So I put a small piece of vinyl/electrical tape over it and the leak stopped.

Today I finally got around to a more permeant solution, first by squirting a bit of silicone sealant into the gap...

...and capped with a small piece of Gorilla tape:

It's not the most sano solution, but I didn't feel like removing the headliner to remove the rail and replace the seal properly. It's a $6k car after all...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.