Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New '08 E350 - Need to sort some things

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  CetiAlpha5 
#1 ·
Recently purchased a one-owner, Black Metallic '08 W211 "cream puff" :smile with 39K miles to use as a family sedan for our winter home in Florida. The car has one year old Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on staggered 18" wheels and is probably a 9/10 both exterior and interior.

Had the local MB dealer do a PPI and it was clean except for two items and a stored (but not current) failure code.

VIN is WDBUF56X08B235028. Can someone post the data card for me? I have the Russian online version but the Google Translate result isn't very usable for my records.

There are several items that I am in the process of sorting and would like this forum's help if you've seen and solved these problems before. I have many questions and have put them all in this post...it may be too much for one thread and if so let me know and I'll split them up.

Sirius Satellite Subscription - I have satellite radio on several cars and tried to add this vehicle to the account with no luck. The COMMAND screen either says to call Sirius and lists the ESN or "Acquiring Satellite" even when I'm outside with a clear view of the sky. Advanced Tech Support at Sirius didn't help either.

From what I've read here on this issue I need to call Sirius back and ask for "protected tier" (easy enough to do) or I have a equipment problem or both. I suspect an antenna wiring or grounding issue as the sharkfin antenna isn't snug against the roof...i can rock it back and forth where the seal lifts slightly from the roof line (and could allow water into the cabin). Looks like I'll need to drop the headliner to tighten that up. Does anyone have the WIS for the headliner removal? (Hopefully I don't have to take it all out to get to the antenna area)

PPI showed that the Cam Plugs and the PCV Centrifuge cover were leaking. Dealer wanted $305 to replace the seals for these. Are these easy DIY? Does anyone have pictures or WIS diagrams of these spots? Can I use Black RTV and just apply around the seals?

PPI also revealed Stored code that was the dreaded P0521 from the intake manifold tumble flap. I assume I have a $700 Pierburg manifold in my future but for now it's okay. What is the failure mode for this flap? Does it give multiple code faults for a while then fail hard or was this stored code just a spurious event?

Previous Owner must have been a cigar smoker because there's a hint of smoke smell in the cabin and some marks that look consistent with a cigar burn on the left side of the lower dash near the headlight switch (see picture below). Wife noticed it right away on test drive but it didn't deter us from the purchase. I deep cleaned the leather seats yesterday and that reduced the smell substantially but plan on an ozone machine and further interior cleaning to remove that odor. Any ideas how I might repair the cigar burn?

How do I remove the lower driver's side dash panel (bolster?), light switch and surrounds? I assume the light switch and surrounding panel are replaceable so I plan to do that.

PPI included MB Geo Class 229.5 5W-40 Oil change and fuel additive. Dealer says Transmission service is due (40K miles) and new Spark Plugs are indicated. I looked around the site and didn't see the 7Gtronic 722.906 transmission service instructions. Is this a simple DIY job without a lift? Can someone point me to the service instructions?

Are there other fluids that I should replace? Brake fluid? Steering Fluid?

What spark plugs are MB recommended and which ones have forum members found to be superior to those?

Thanks for helping me sort this beautiful W211! I plan on a Pinehurst Buddies Golf trip in March so I have much to do...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Have dealer check Vehicle Master Inquiry (VMI) to confirm no outstanding recalls or service campaigns – free repair(s) out of warranty. Links may show different MY or model but still apply. If you want you can view marketing brochure here Auto-Brochures.com|Auto-Brochures.com|Mercedes-Benz Car & Truck PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info AMG C-Class CL-Class CLK-Class CLS-Class E-Class G-Class GL-Class GLC-Class GT Maybach M-Class ML-Class R-Class S-Class SL-Class SLK-Class SLS-Class

- SIRIUSXM

May be SDARS unit but check connections to unit & splitter first.

Trunk panel: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...sj08HxLHx9LTGw&bvm=bv.113370389,d.cGc&cad=rja
Splitter: Mercedes Benz Workshop Manuals > E 320 Sedan (211.065) V6-3.2L (112.949) (2004) > Accessories and Optional Equipment > Antenna > Global Positioning System Antenna > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > Page 19465
Antenna: Mercedes Benz Workshop Manuals > CLS 550 (219.372) V8-5.5L (273.960) (2007) > Accessories and Optional Equipment > Antenna > Antenna, Phone > Component Information > Service and Repair > AR82.62-P-8980TX Remove/Install Bluetooth Antenna > Page 13824
Headliner (lower part of page): Mercedes Benz Workshop Manuals > E 500 (211.070) V8-5.0L (113.967) (2004) > Body and Frame > Interior Moulding / Trim > Headliner > Component Information > Service and Repair > Procedures > Page 23182 + next pages, search doc #s for additional instructions i.e.: AR68.30-P-4050T, etc.

- Camshaft plugs & centrifuge
Your engine # 30 747806 is well before clean points for 272 reference bulletin 048997 to request goodwill repair for known problem corrected with modified plugs. If refused, simple DIY.
Any Repair Instructions for 2007 Cam Plugs and Oil Seperator Replacement? - MBWorld.org Forums
Centrifuge: Mercedes Benz Workshop Manuals > CLS 550 (219.372) V8-5.5L (273.960) (2007) > Powertrain Management > Emission Control Systems > Air Injection > Air Injection Pump > Component Information > Description and Operation > Page 7272 + next page

- Cabin odor
Consider replacing dust filter: Mercedes Benz Workshop Manuals > E 63 AMG Sedan (211.077) V8-6.3L (156.983) (2007) > Heating and Air Conditioning > Cabin Air Filter > Component Information > Service and Repair > AP83.00-P-8381T Replace Dust Filter For Heating/Air Conditioning > Pag

- Rotary light switch
Mercedes Benz Workshop Manuals > E 320 Sedan (211.065) V6-3.2L (112.949) (2004) > Lighting and Horns > Sensors and Switches - Lighting and Horns > Headlamp Switch > Component Information > Description and Operation > Page 25834

-Fluids
Note MY08 service sheet shows ATF change once @ 39,000 revised to every 40,000 miles/4 years whichever comes first. Search for DIY ATF change & spark plugs, plenty of opinions/info here + E-Class (W211) - MBWorld.org Forums

Attachments

#5 ·
Brake fluid is supposed to be every 2 years.

Once you get Sirius going, you should be able to get a free 2 month trial. You can also call and get a promo of 5 months for $20 or 6 for $25. You have to keep asking though as they make you a couple other offers first that aren't as good, they usually get to the lowest one on the 3rd offer.

For the fluid, you can get ATF 134 from a Shell distributor, around $60 or so for a case of 12 quarts. Check the distributors in your state, they may have more than one location:

Lubricants Distributor Locator | Shell United States

#7 ·
Yes, it will auto renew at the regular rates if you don't call them. I've done it a few times now. Some people have been doing it for years. Don't really need it, but it's nice once in a while when I get bored of my spotify playlist. I just have it on my calendar to call them the day before it expires. Each time they claim it was a one time deal, but then I just go ahead and tell them to cancel and they do it just this once every time.

#10 ·
That's a really nice solution to the manifold flap problem if it's a broken actuator. I also saw that it can fail internally which is a different problem all together, right?

Update on sorting...
Sirius issue - So far I've been able to check the RF splitter in the trunk and can confirm the connections are fine (picture below). I have the W211 at the local dealer getting aligned (it pulled right) and asked about Sirius software update. Dealer said they cannot see the activation file from SiriusXM yet (only been two working days) so they can't tell much about the s/w configuration.

I have checked the Nav/Map functions and they work fine, accurately displaying my position and satellites in view. That tells me the antenna is at least working properly at those frequencies. Maybe I don't need to drop the headliner...just put some silicone sealant under the antenna gasket to keep water out of the cabin.

Warranty Repairs/Campaigns
Dealer says VMI doesn't have any warranty repairs pending/will not fix the cam plugs and PCV centrifuge cover. Thanks for links Konigstiger, I carefully pressure washed the engine bay over the weekend and will monitor the seepage. Perhaps it's minor, otherwise it's a todo in the near future.

Cabin Odor
Bought a combination filter that I'll install soon. May not make much difference but I have a "we owe you" from the selling dealer to odor bomb the vehicle. Maybe I should wait until that's complete to install the new combo filter. Suggestions?

I did scrub the driver's side headliner with carpet cleaner as there was some strongish odor there.

Transmission Service
Appreciate the CetiAlpha5 link to Shell ATF134 local dealers. I purchased a case and it will be at the dealer's site in a few days. Found the 722.9 transmission service procedure here and have bought consumable items for the job. Looks like I need some pan bolts, torque converter drain plug, a guide tube plus some tools to get it done. I've been contemplating a MB Star C4 system so may wait until I get that online before I start.

Question - Do I need to install a new transmission standoff pipe (weir valve)?

Attachments

#11 ·
#12 ·
Which COMMAND version do I have in the '08 e350? The data card just says APS COMMAND. The screen doesn't indicate a version # either when it loads.

I'm assuming it's NTG 2.5, is that correct?

Where can I find that info, all the Engineering Mode key sequences that I've found on the Tube don't work...and the telematics forum seems to end at MY 2005. Also, do you know how to enter Engineering Mode on the '08 COMMAND?

#13 ·
On the 2008, it's NTG1 it was 2009 that had NTG2.5. Comand can get updated as part of the navigation update. I believe it's all in one. I would just load the new DVD.

Not sure about the engineering mode, I don't think there's much in there aside from changing the initial display screen and language. There are some older threads on this forum and the other one that might go into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.