Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Purchase W211 or W220

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  NITO 
#1 ·
I have finally worn out (and got tired of) my 1987 300D. I'm currently considering a 2005-07 W211 E-Class or W220 S-Class. Currently on eBay, both models are reasonably priced. I'm currently looking for ultimate longevity and reliability overall.

If the price between the two were equal, which way would you go and why?

#3 ·
May I suggest doing a little bit more homework on both cars. The S class is nice, but cost wise it (I guessing can/will get expensive) E class (once again I'm guessing) are a bit less to keep on the road vs. the S. But in the end it's what you like.
Happy Motoring

#4 ·
I tend to agree with you, although I am trying to figure out what (excluding the known air suspension issues) is going to cost more.

#5 ·
Reasons I like the E-Class:
• I like that I can get the diesel in the E-Class, although I don't know if these CDI engines are more reliable than the gas engines. They have more electronics and emission crap that can go wrong (the older diesel that I've worked with would run forever with basic maintenance). They get GREAT fuel economy, and I already have one in my wife's ML320 ( So I'm prepared to work on it of necessary).
• Believe it or not, I prefer the MB-Tex over the leather options for seats. They have traditionally stood the test of time over and over again. On the other hand, most of the pictures of the S-Class leather seats have held up pretty well.
• There are more E-Class sedans out there. I know that I can get typical parts without S-Class prices.

Reasons I like the S-Class
• Let's face it, both of these cars use a high percentage of the same parts, engines, transmissions, and overall technology. If can source everything for my Europa G320, the S-Class can't be any worst.
• I would prefer the larger car with more leg room (especially when people are in the rear seats).
• Better ride and comfort.
• I am looking for the 2005+, so most of the W220 suspension, rust, Comand, and other bugs have been fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.