Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2009 w211 purchase question

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  kavadarci 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am looking at 2009 w211 as my next purchase.
The kms are 139.000 which is more than I would like but at the same time it is a model that doesn't have the pre 08 problems. Speaking of which, what are specific problems for the 08,09 models?

Also, what service should have been done on a car with this mileage, transmission oil change, transfer case, differential oil, brake fluid, coolant etc?

Thank you.

#2 ·
It's early 2007 and older. 2008 and 2009 are both outside the engine issues.

Just change all fluids then follow the factory manual and catch up with anything it says needs to be done.

#5 · (Edited)
how early 07? is there a specific manufacturing month\date?
From an 07 to an 09 it gets significantly more expensive.
Do all 2007 have the brake electronic pump issue?
Which sticky are you referring too for the engines?
How do i get to the menu that shows if there are any error codes on the car?

Thank you.

#7 ·
After about September 2006 they were ok, but the only way to be sure is to check the VIN for the engine number as some people say that a few slipped by after that date.

You can also get a code reader like an ELM327 and pair it with an android device to read any stored codes. Or even the Launch x431 where it will read Mercedes specific code if you buy an additional software package for about $40, the reader is about $20 on aliexpress. Or you can take it to an auto parts store, they usually read the code for free. If the light isn't on, chances are that there are no codes, but it's possible it had a previous code and that might be stored. Your best bet is to take it to a Mercedes dealer and have them check out the car, they can connect their Star machine to it and if you ask, they might give you the VMI which will show previous maintenance done by the previous owner at the Mercedes dealer.

#6 ·
Yes, post the VIN and we'll help you
07's and later do not have electronic brakes, they have conventional vacuum assist brakes
The dash posts messages, if it says no messages then they're stored(or there's none), you need a STAR analyzer or a high end analyzer to retrieve the codes

#8 · (Edited)
The ELM327 will not read many MB specific codes. It is mostly just the general ODB II codes. Also a capable Android device will be needed to use an ELM and the app called Torque for Android is about $5.
Please do not spend the money on the Launch product. I have several issues where they are throwing codes that do not even exist or are giving false readings. If it comes from aliexpress.com then it is a Chinese clone that the Launch team will not support and are now starting to demand serial numbers to upgrade the firmware to avoid being ripped off by the clones.

#10 ·
Not the same in terms of price. Balance shaft problem is somewhere between 5k-8k at a dealer to repair, maybe at an indy 3k if you can find one. They have to take the engine out in order to repair it so it's a big job. Plus there are some threads where an indy did it and the engine didn't run quite right afterwards. I think the SBC is around 2k at a dealer, parts can be around $800 plus a few hundred at an indy to put in so maybe a little more than a 1k repair. I think you are just better off spending a few extra thousand and getting a newer year that skips those problems. On the other hand, there are those who say that the balance shaft problem only occurs in about 10-15% of the engines out there.

#13 ·
#15 ·
The 3.0 l diesel seems to have more issues than the 2005-06 e320 cdi. The issue seems to be around the oiling of the turbo, and if that fails an expensive repair will ensue.. On the 2005-06 cdi's you then have the SBC.. Pick your poison..

SBC issue is a one-time thing but the turbo oiling issue can come back again and again..

#14 ·
Don't know that much about diesel, but that one looks pretty fully loaded, they're hard to find like that. From the pictures it looks like it has real leather, most have MB-Tex which is a vinyl leather like material. Wood steering wheel, looks like it has keyless go and probably bi-xenon headlights, I think that went together even in 2007. Has parktronic and the pano sunroof, also says it has the power trunk but no pictures. Those aren't factory rims though they could be real MB rims off a different car. That one doesn't have the sport package otherwise the gauges on the dash would be white instead of black. They don't mention a VIN so it's hard to look it up. If you go see it, see if it has the ipod cable in the glove box and the bluetooth puck in the center console.

#16 ·
Ok, I hope this to be last inquiry.
I am seeing an 08 e300 tomorrow but next to it sits e500 for a good price.
I am ok with the fuel consumption as I don't drive much but that complicated hydraulic suspension scares me.
Can you tell me what are the pain points on e500?

Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.