Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MB codes: 5503,5508 can the solenoid/ distribution block leak air

28K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
This is my third reference to a problem NO ONE seems to know the answer, not even MB of Shrewsbury Ma. There Star analyzer came up with two codes: 5503, 5508 first, recovery time during filling too long, and 2 pressure line system leaks. Performed actuation test of system and pump and is currently working.
It stated nothing about a bad sensor; I really don’t believe it’s a leak with a strut or the holding tank. I have looked on line and all other photos of 2004 and 2005 E500 wagons air system parts and mine don’t look the same. Maybe it has to do with this car having the “avantgarde” package; the aluminum distribution block is very small. It has one line for the pump, two for front struts one each, one for back struts, one for holding tank SP. Only 5 outlets and a solenoid pack on the back. Not the long bar type.
Here are the symptoms:
1) Leave car parked in normal height mode (sometimes) the front will lose all air and sink all the way down, sometimes in a few minutes.
2) Leave car parked in HIGH mode car won’t drop in days of sitting.
3) Drive car in normal height mode car will lose air in front and need to stop car.
4) Drive car in High mode and will stay up if driven under 50MPH and no steep hills.
5) Front will lose air if: driven over 50 MPH,(goes back into normal mode) up or down steep hills even in high mode.
Also when the car is losing air you can see the front go down in intervals, a clicking noise on R and L front struts, car running or not running.
The pump will time out or the relay will stop for a few and then start working again, the pump and 4 struts was replaced 4 mths ago. The pump is over working to keep the car up, air is leaking from somewhere.
Let the car sit in high mode for hrs, and disconnected the air line at the holding tank in the rear plenty of air. Disconnected it with the front down, hardly any air in the holding tank, like the front struts.
At times the car will be trying to rise, with the pump working the front goes up and right back down, up down inch up inch down, till the pump times out or stops. The car keeps going down in the front but you can’t hear were the air is being released from. Move the car around a little and it will pump up and hold air again….
Can a strut or holding tank leak under little pressure but not under high pressure?
The distribution block what is it called and can it leak on the back side? Where can I get it?
Im looking for a schematic or diagram of Mercedes 2004 e500 airmatic suspension
Is there any other part Im missing in this air system (air pump, distribution block, 4 struts, one holding tank, and the lines to and from)?
Any info will help, thanks 2004 E500 wagon sport package 4matic

See less See more
#5 ·
When mine went bad it was the lower seal on the strut. The compressor could even come close to keeping up and raising the right front.

It hate to say it but I just took a shot at replacing the strut and that fixed it. I would hate to see you spend that kind of money and not have it fix the problem.
There is a huge shortage from Arnott and RMT. RMT will rebuild it in a few days.

I wish I had a crystal ball. If you can't find the leak then replacing the part that is leaking is a sticky wicket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.