Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New 08 E350 AWD to the Family Questions?

4K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  Yaoi-Wiccan 
#1 ·
So I just bought an 08 E350 with AWD today! It has the sports package on it with the AMG rims and brand new AMG brakes and brand new all season tires. So far I love the car but was wondering if there is anything I should know about it? Anything to look for? It has about 110,000 miles on it now. I was wondering if there is a way to see oil life level on the car?

#2 ·
Very nice. I've been driving mine for 4 weeks now and its an absolute joy every time.

Check the service indicator to see how many miles left. Its a 13k interval using Mobil1 0-40 and a Fleece filter. Incredibly easy to change. Just as easy as your 300E. Takes 8.5qt though!
Make sure you get on the transmission fluid change as soon as possible. Unlikely its been changed, or only done at the one time MB "mentioned" 39k interval.

If you have any questions on anything let me know...we basically have the identical car.

#4 · (Edited)
Sounds like it was either just done, or someone just reset the indicator. Unless you are sure it was done, I'd do it. Or have receipt etc.
Safer bet would if you have a topsider or fluid extractor to pull some oil out of the sump. At only 400 miles, it should still be relatively clear. If its black already its more likely it was just reset.

No differences in 2009 for engine.

One quick check to do as well....Pull engine cover off and feel at back of engine if there is any oil. There is a cam seal that has an updated part #. $13 for the kit. I just found mine is weeping there. An FYI. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2718504/

#5 ·
You should have a oil dipstick on the car. Earlier years didn't have the dipstick, not sure when they put it in. Anyway, you should be able to tell what the oil looks like if it's fairly new. There's no transmission fluid dipstick, you'll have to buy that separately. Also while there's an oil level sensor, it will only tell you when the oil is low, it doesn't display what the oil level is. In prior years it did.

#10 ·
The COMAND unit update is somewhat large...its a total change in interface, but the main change thats worthy is just the nav. The HK sound system is the same and it is a 7.1 system (front tweeters, 1 front center, 2 front doors, 2 rear doors and sub on deck. I find the system more than adequate with a bump in the bass in the settings.

You have an AUX input inside the glovebox ceiling...its not immediately obvious until you bend down a little.

#11 ·
I just took my first road trip with it today so I've been using the navigation system what I think is ok just hard to navigate. Love the sound system! I have the iPod hook up with the apple adapter I bought and it works great with pandora. Also I hav the Bluetooth adapter which works great too. One problem I did have was once I got my e-check today and pass the engine light came on and reads as one of the O2 sensors. Is there a way to reset the light to make sure it really needs replace and it is not just a kid read?

#14 ·
You can take it to most auto parts places that check engine lights and they will normally let you borrow the scanner if you leave a license or something like that and you can clear the code yourself. They're not usually allowed to clear the code. Or get your own code reader like an ELM327 and clear it yourself.

As for the oil, just stick to Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40. Both meet MB specs and they're both synthetic. I think you're supposed to get 10k out of it.

#18 ·
Do not disconnect the battery for this purpose. You will need to have a scanner attached to the data cable of the car and have the code read to see what the issue is. Then the code can be cleared. Sometimes they don't return if the issue was a fluke, but will if there is an issue.

If I just purchased this car from a Dealer I would be back there asking about this. O2 sensor is part of the emissions system and Dealers cannot sell cars with faulty parts, at least in California. I am guessing that they reset all fault codes then sold the car, which will and have popped up after it has been driven. I really think you should have a nice conversation about it and see what they can do. In the least they can read the codes for you and show you the exact trouble code or codes so you know what to do next.

In lots of cases o2 sensors are not all that difficult to change by owner....

#30 ·
Actually, I found out from others on Benzworld, that here in California any seller, including a private seller, is required to provide a passing smog check on a vehicle, or provide for repairs to the issue up to a certain number of months after. (Amazing protection here in Cali!)

#28 ·
After doing some research tonight I found out about the Mercedes Media Interface Plus . Does it add anything extra the iPod integration kit does not? I got the adapter to work with my iPhone 6 and it seems to work fine plays music though my library and Pandora. Only thing I noticed was the information only comes on the dash screen not the center screen and the steering controls seem to be backwards for next and pervious track also you have to press a couple times to move to the next track otherwise it will just repeat the same one while streaming Pandora. I was just curious if the Media interface adds anything special worth getting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.