Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Alternator/Regulator/Puff of smoke..etc

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tautog13 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Helping wife with groceries this evening and walking by the front of the car I was greeted with the typical "burnt electrical" smell.

Opened the hood and started the car.....let it run for a bit....thinking maybe the secondary air pump?....or maybe the electric radiator fan?........no indication from either........so I raised the rpm to 2200 for a short spell and had the wife spotting with a flashlight under the hood.

A puff of smoke appeared to rise from the alternator...but given the low light situation I cannot be certain.

I know burnt electronic "smell" and so I am fairly certain it is electrical and not oil or other.

I do not have any indication on the instrument panel that anything is amiss.
However....I know better.

So.......anyone have any clues....I recall I can check alternator voltage via the instrument panel......but any other advise/etc. is certainly welcome.

TIA

Charlie

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Guess I need my nose recalibrated :eek:.......while I was doing the above testing (thanks Kajtek).....I noticed another "puff" of smoke....and it turns out there is a small oil leak at the rear of the passenger cylinder head.

More specifically...from what appears to be a EGR related plastic part. (please see attached .pdf)

Hoping it is an easy fix (o-ring and or gasket).....as it appears to be only 3 small bolts to remove.

Anyone know what that part is and I will search for repair info.

EDIT:
FYI
VB = 12.2 (engine off)
VB = 14.0 (engine running/idle)
VB = 13.9~14.0 (headlights on bright/rear defrost on/radio on/heat on)

Thanks,
Charlie

Attachments

#5 ·

Attachments

#6 ·
Centrifuge on exhaust camshaft see here Any Repair Instructions for 2007 Cam Plugs and Oil Seperator Replacement? - MBWorld.org Forums current cover/seal replacement part #2720100631 .
BTW I also recommend replacing cover (260 in diagram), oil pan (250) and bolts (265) since you have to disassemble anyway. You can check here for pricing OE Discount Parts

Thank you very much Konigstiger........I see it's a bit more involved than I thought....though still rather simple.

Best,
Charlie

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.