Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

rotor brake life

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BIG NICK 
#1 ·
How long do your rotors last in miles? Someone said the pads wear a lip which requires pad&rotors replaced at same time. Do front& rear wear at the same time?

#2 ·
Highway driving = 120,000 miles
City driving, soft driver (Grand Ma slowing down at a green light in case it turns red)= 80,000 miles
City driving, average driver = 60,000 miles
City driving, aggressive driver = 40,000 miles
City driving, after a bank robbery = 30,000 miles
Mixed Highway and soft driving= 100,000 miles
.................You get the picture
Anti diving feature causes the rear brakes to activate more often than normal, sometimes rear brakes wear out faster than front brakes
If the rotor minimum thickness is maintained, you can replace the pads only, the lip can be knocked off with an angle grinder, be careful not to touch the machined surface OR you can leave it alone and nothing will happen except some squealing noise for a while until the pads wear in.

#3 ·
When I bought W210 for wife with 170 k the rotors had bad lips on them, so I order new ones.
Fortunately amazon screw the order and after figuring out new rotors will not fit, I measured the old ones to still have 60% of usable thickness on them.
I grind the lips and now with 260k I believe we still have factory rotors on the car. We don't wear brakes much with our driving, so the rotors should be good for 1/2 milion
Akebono pads I put at 170k might last till 1/2 milion as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.