Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SBC Pump replacement; Any difference in new version?

33K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  tgordy41 
#1 ·
Hi,

simple question: If I where to go to the dealer and get my SBC pump completely replaced, will the new pump be any different?

Ie, has mercedes changed anything in the SBC pumps they replace with?

It is a W211 E class 2004.

Thx

#6 ·
Very good information.

From now on, seems workshops can actually REPAIR the units instead of changing them out. And even if change is required, it isn't as expensive as it was before it seems.
This is good news.

Anybody with a faulty SBC, hopefully you will see this thread.

#13 ·
I was just quoted $1100 for the SBC unit alone AND $1200 to let them install a new one at the stealership. Has anyone ever installed one without the MB Star? I found a new SBC unit and am looking for an indie with coding capabilities in the 614. Is there anything special to code it to the car and can this be done with a Launch X-431?

#15 ·
Somebody experienced told me here that it doesn't need to be coded with Star, but you still need to deal with the oil pressure inside the unit somehow before working on it and remove the SBC connector as well.
Btw, are you certain you can not reset the counter of the SBC unit (I mean if it is your SBC issue)?

#14 ·
Had my SBC replaced at Portland Mercedes Benz a couple of months ago...on a 2004 E320 4matic. The part was a recon for $750 total price $1750. The unit flagged replacemwnt at 430,000 actuations. The dealer said the new one was good for 600,000. So it looks like they have continued to improve them.

#19 ·
And for those considering the Launch X431, I picked up one up recently on Aliexpress. I thought the price had gone up from $25 which it has, but I got one for $30 and it came with a subscription to two car manufacturers. The old one required you to pay $40 to get manufacturer specific codes. It's still only good for a year so I haven't activated it yet, waiting til I have a problem. The basic free OBDII scanner works fine.

#20 ·
Anybody know for sure whether the replacement units, either new or reman, come with a new accumulator? I see the accumulator listed in the epc as a separate part at about half the cost of a new unit. Star tells me that I for sure need the new accumulator, but I'm thinking that at the price & if it's included with a new hydraulic unit I may as well go all in.

#22 ·
Well, that's encouraging. Can anyone think of any good reason(s) to spend the extra $220 or so for new as opposed to reman?

Am I a fool to attempt this in my garage with ordinary tools? I've got Star and have successfully flushed the system once. Reviewing the instructions in WIS, it doesn't look all that daunting. What am I missing?

Brakes are operating perfectly normally, but as you can see from the attached, DAS thinks they're in need of attention. Prescription from the first result is replace the accumulator. You can see the result of the second.

Attachments

#24 ·
Yep, I've got that. What I'm wondering is if anyone's done this at home without encountering any extraordinary difficulties that may not be altogether apparent from reading it. Thx.

BTW, if anyone's interested here's a link to some of the files I've saved including the results of the most recent tests of pressure loss and air in the system:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9SkSAEPQcsmM1FkZVFlOXBjNUU

#27 ·
Near as I can tell, if you can deactivate it and bleed down the pressure before opening and if you can do a complete system bleed/flush to get the air out, you might manage it. But then you'd need to take it to someone with Star for the initial setup & to reset the counter. Somebody please tell me if I'm blowin' smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.